Wild Moon Swings

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Feminine Wiles

Lately, I've been thinking about feminine charm. Maybe it's because I'm about to write from a man's perspective for my next book, or maybe it's something far less complex. Anyway, lately, I've been thinking about my own femininity.

Last week, I was sitting next to my aunt whilst in a social situation where all females are expected to wear dresses. It wasn't a formal, meaning that the type of skirt/dress you wanted to wear was entirely up to your own descretion, as long as you were wearing one. I was sitting next to my aunt who was wearing a creamy floral blouse with flounces and flares. She was also wearing creamy high heels, a purple skirt, and soft transparant pantihose. Me? Oh, I was wearing a dark blue jean skirt with intentional stitches up the side (not unlike Lulu in Final Fantasy X). Put simply, the stitching is intended to remove any femininity that the skirt may have possessed without it. It's there to add a badass edge. I was wearing a long sleeved black sweater with the only oriniment on it being a tiny tie at the top. Pantihose? No, nononononono. I was wearing the nastiest of thick leggings that are thick enough to keep a women toasty in a snow storm. The last word you would use to describe them is 'transparent'. Then to top off this winning combination, I was wearing black, knee-high, laced-up boots (mostly so that no one would be able to see the stockings) (when I think of these stockings I always use the word 'rubbers' in my head - yeah - don't ask why), and sitting beside my lovely lipstick wearing aunt wondering if I'd left my panties at home because I was looking almost like a gaunt teenage boy beside her. Lucky for the skirt - saving my gender and all.

On the way out, I happened to make a comment that I looked exactly like Daniel Radcliffe when I got my hair cut short. My uncle denied that I could ever look like a boy, while my aunt said calmly, "But we didn't see her." I promise, my eyebrow didn't twitch. I was thinking the exact same thing. Am I a bleeding boy after all?

When I was in my earilier teens, I was reading this book about how to catch men (a sickeningly insightful book that will make all men fall to their knees begging to be your man) and there is a chapter about the importance of being a feminine woman. You see, the more feminine you appear, the more masculine the man who's with you feels - and honestly - men like that. In my early teens, I really made the effort to dress in girly colours, girly patterns, girly cuts and all that, and I can promise you - it makes a difference. I just don't like that it does, because I don't like wearing any of that. If you open my closet, you will see that almost all of my clothes are black and white. There isn't much else.

Hmmm .... I don't know that I really have a conclusion to this post. I'm absolutely adorable in so many other ways. Why should what I wear make such a big difference? But it does. I know it does. My boss used to comment on how manish I was. She asked me why I never wore skirts. My answer? Cause I have to take transit and what if there's a up draft?

5 Comments:

  • nice pic! Did you really look like Daniel Radcliff? lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:48 a.m.  

  • LOL I'm just like you.
    And you're right... when we dress «nice» (like a good girly girl), it makes a huge difference. Unfortunately!

    On rare ocasions, I try to look «nice» (really rare situations), and in those situations people usually tell me: "Ohhh you look so beautiful! Why don't you always dress like that?!". Well... because that's not really me. I'll dress in anything that is comfortable... I don't care if it's really feminine or not.

    Remember when I said in my blog that I went to a wedding? Yeah... I spent my time hearing my family members (distant cousins and such) say: "Is that you?! Oh you look so different! I'm so happy you became such a pretty woman!" -_- I'm sure if they saw me in my normal clothes they wouldn't say that.

    But what is being feminine? Screaming when you see a roach? So the big bad boy comes to the rescue and kills the disgusting creature? -_- My friends are like that. I'm not.

    I just read a book... "Son of the Shadows", where the main character is a girl. And I loved her!! She was tough! She talked back when someone insulted her! She stood up for helself! And she found love, a man who loved her for that. ^^

    By Blogger algelic, at 2:19 p.m.  

  • Hey jossi, and algelic!

    "Do I really look like Daniel Radcliff?"

    When I have long hair? No. When I had my Harry Potter haircut? Yes. I did. The only difference is that I have lips and he doesn't. LOL. But I wrote a comic about it where I drew a lightning bolt scar on every picture of me. Actually, it was really funny.

    Hey algelic. Being feminine is a gigantic lie. Yeah, you're supposed to jump on that chair and let the boy kill the roach for you. The reason it's a lie is because the boy expects you to kill it yourself if he's not around. Stupid eh? But that's the way it works. Real men don't want a woman who can't do anything by herself, but that doesn't change the fact that they can be manipulated into believing that they're all tough because they kill a bug for you. Weird eh?

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 9:32 p.m.  

  • Hahahaha.

    Hmm, let's see, I definitely notice it myself the most when I'm wearing 4" heels with a skirt.

    It's nice to be pretty occasionally. Especially because we are so trained to put our attention on beautiful women. One day on the bus a student came on, she was tall and tanned, and wonderfully athletic and slim as if she played volleyball or did diving, and I could not take my eyes off her.

    I'm always the one to kill the roach for my girl friends. The guys are scared of roaches, too ;3 (I'm afraid of soft worms though ; ;)

    By Blogger jomiel, at 4:24 a.m.  

  • Ha, funny thing you posted about this. I've been thinking about this topic too ever since R asked me when I was going to stop being a tomboy and be a woman. This mostly had to do with us discussing home decorating ideas, but it also turned into a conversation about what I wear.

    You see, my mother is an ultra feminine person. The ruffles, the lace, the flowers and girly colours.

    Because I was *made* to wear this stuff while growing up, I began to develope a serious distaste for it. She also decorated our house in girly everything. I always wondered if my Dad ever had a say in how the house was decorated. But then my mom wears the pants in the family, so I'd say NO. I don't know if he cares, but I'd always vowed that I would allow my husband the opportunity to mesh our ideas together since he has to live here too! I want him to feel like he belongs here.

    So, R asked me the other day if I would ever put pictures of flowers in our house. I believe he was encouraging me to allow myself to be a little more feminine. *Sigh*, here I thought I was being concerned about his tastes and he's worrying about mine.

    I guess I need more *ahem* Pink and flowers in my wardrobe so that he thinks I'm a woman and not a tomboy anymore. Ugh! Does he know how hard it is to *find* a good floral pattern in skirts and dresses?!

    I want to be a "Betty" not a "Molly", Dude.

    Fourlittlepeas

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home