Wild Moon Swings

Sunday, July 05, 2009

Project Overflow

So, as 'Vampire Kiss' draws to a close, my brain is chalk full of ideas for new books. And I don't know which one to pursue.

I've got two half-finished novels on my harddrive. One is 'Ghost Mist' and the other is 'Half the Moon'. Both stories are quite well developed, but I have yet to identify a theme for HtM and I have a gap in the storyline in GM. It's frustrating because neither of them are contemporary fiction. I really do better at that. Inventing whole worlds isn't exactly my strong suit. I'm trying to take lessons from D.M. Cornish, but it gets so tiring.

Next problem. I have ideas for two contemporary novels. One is called 'The Third Wish' and the other is called '30 Days to Halloweeen'. Both of these are probably classified as horror. The biggest problem with both of them is that they both need to be told from a male perspective in order to keep the story-telling smooth.

Actually, all four of these books are told from male perspectives. Am I any good at that? Really?

Writing from a female perspective is more natural since I am a woman, but all I've got from a female perspective are two short stories and neither of them is particularly original. I want to write a modern-day 'Cupid and Psyche'. Anyone is welcome to take a whack at that. I love that story. It doesn't matter how many hashed versions spring out of the woodwork - I'm always captivated. The second one is a take on an old fairytale. Oh! So original.

Whatever. I wish I could do what mangaka do and just make up a fantasy world that somewhat resembles Europe without actually being Europe. That would be sweet. I could just make up my own cities.

2 Comments:

  • Cupid and Psyche is one of my favorites! As a child (age 10) I was obsessed with mythology. My parent's gave me Mary Pope Osborne's favorite Greek myths. The illustrations are particularly beautiful in this edition. The painting of Psyche standing over sleeping cupid is just gorgeous. I'm curious what your version of the story would be like. Hope your settling in to your new place. Glad your back online.

    By Blogger Jaima, at 4:18 p.m.  

  • If you're getting really stuck in your stories, I'd be more then happy to make some art of your characters and or settings for you.

    ~mysisterisasquijum

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home