Wild Moon Swings

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Awful Personalities

I have an awful personality.

I think I realized this sometime in my childhood. Seriously. A horrible awful personality. I've been trying to fix it, but maybe it's a lost cause.

I talk too much. I'm an egomaniac. I tire easily. I'm a storyboard snob. I have zero B.S. tolerance.

Lately, in my book 'Vampire Kiss' my main character has had a definite personality shift. It's necessary and was part of my storyboards. She's more like the me of now than any other character I've ever written before. Or rather - she's probably what I would be like if I had no safety locks. And I think I've had three readers so far call her a badass. And that's only the beginning of their descriptions of her.

I feel like I've ventured into Harry Potter territory. You know how Harry was all angst-ridden in 'The Order of the Pheonix'? That's my least favourite book of the series. I didn't even enjoy reading about angsty Harry. And yet I ignored the lesson I learned and made my character a ball of fiery rage. What was I thinking?

Yet, I don't know how else a person would react to the situation my girl is in other than getting angry and vengeful. She could shut down. She could endure patiently - but our girl has done plenty of that. At least anger is proactive. At least I find anger proactive. When I get all heated - I go get some work done! Which is what our girl has to do.

I wonder if it's because people want to feel comfortable when they read for pleasure and if their emotions are brought into a realm of deep anger and frustration - that can't possibly relax them after a day of real life deep anger and frustraton.

One way or another - I still have a bad personality. I hope that if I ever make it big with my writing that I never have to do publicity or interviews. I'd likely ruin my reputation as a good author because my attitude is so bad.

2 Comments:

  • I like how you wrote Persephone/Hitomi, and I thought that the different qualities highlighted by the different embodiments were a clever development. Your stories come together so nicely, which I always appreciate. I don't think that having a strong character (gotta love the opportunity for double entendre) indicates a bad personality.

    By Anonymous aca, at 8:57 a.m.  

  • I was too lazy to sign in. Thanks for your kind words. They gave me confidence.

    Love,
    Sapphirefly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home