Wild Moon Swings

Friday, August 04, 2006

Emotinal Deprivation

Okay, so the other day, I was reading Kaytala's new short story called 'Sinful Night' on fictionpress.com. It was really good. It's a vampire piece and it's not so long that you'll be investing a huge part of your life reading it. Go have a look at it and review if you have some time. The point is, it got me thinking about my vampire obsession again. Everyone knows that I want to write a great vampire piece one day, but I'm not sure what it is that I want to say, so I was giving it some serious thought - trying to figure out what I like about vampires so much and frankly - my thoughts surprised me, so I thought I'd record them here. Oh! And isn't this pic beauty? I have no clue what anime it's from. If you know - please comment!


Basically, my thoughts reverted completely back to when I was reading about a sort of social anxiety called 'emotional deprivation'. I will proceed to describe what I view as modern vampirism. Ready?

So, picture - if you will - a beautiful person (for the sake of this analogy, I guess we'll make it a woman). Picture the most beautiful person you can possibly fathom - beautiful hands, beautiful hair, beautiful clothing, beautiful manners, and a personality slightly dark and meloncholy. Now, picture an ordinary guy looking at her - completely enthralled. Now, let's skip the initial meeting of our two characters and get right into the thick of the relationship. They're together and suppoesively in love. Now, she's supposed to be perfect, but she's developed this weird habit of phoning him on his lunch break just to make sure that he's missing her. She's upset when he shows up at her apartment two minutes later than she expected him. She doesn't think that he loves her. Now she's phoning him on his breaks as well as at lunch. After awhile, it's no longer good enough for her to call him and she's got him phoning her during his breaks instead of the other way around. If he's late - she's upset. She doubts his feelings. All this time, he's been swearing up and down that he's crazy about only her. He brings her flowers and presents. He is constantly tied up in knots because no matter what he does, he can't seem to satisfy her. But even though he's never able to make the grade, he still enjoys doing everything he can for her. Being in a relationship with her is like the ultimate drug. There are highs and lows, but for him - the highs are so good that he doesn't want to let go of the relationship even though it's painful for him most of the time. The good times are coming less and less. But then, there's her perspective - even though she's metiphorically drinking him dry because he's putting all his time, energy and heart into their love affair - it's never enough.

Ultimately, she'll end the relationship because she's not satisfied and move on to repeat the process with someone else. But the man in our story will never properly move on from her. For him, she was like a fantasy and he can't completely give up on it.

There's our vampire and our victim. I honestly think there is something interesting about both our characters. I imagine my vampire story would be something like this. I'll probably work it into a story that's not actually supposed to be about vampires.

I do find the whole blood drinking thing a little gross. I used to think it was magical, but that just goes to show how real life experiences crush those kinds of stupid ideals. Now I guess just the mental image of a tortured, beautiful young man walking through a shadow is enough to win me over. Yep - totally.

2 Comments:

  • I know a lot of «vampires» like the one you described. LOL sad really... it's like an addiction.

    I really wouldn't be able to write a story about vampires. Maybe it's because I don't feel that «fascination» about them. Your idea sounds really interesting.

    I'd love to write a story about Phantom of the Opera (even if it's just an AU), since I love it so much, but I'm afraid I don't have what it takes. I'll keep that idea in mind and do it when I'm more prepared.

    By Blogger algelic, at 4:50 a.m.  

  • I do that with lots of ideas. I think that eventually you use all the cards in your deck.

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 2:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home