Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Singing Magic

In case you didn't know it, I am a huge Sarah Mclachlan fan. Well, I'm not the stalker type or anything, but I really love her music.

I have to say that my favourite songs of hers are 'Do What You Have to do' and 'Possession'. When I was first writing songfics, I could hardly see my way through to writing songfics to anything other than her work. I think she's so great!!

I have to say that I used to see her music videos on T.V. when I was a teenager, and I got so sick of 'Angel', I wanted to die. She got so overplayed that I honestly believed that I didn't like her as an artist.

But when I got out of that bubble that is teenagerhood, and past that time where I realized what part of a person's gut angry music comes from. I guess it was my experiences that made me appreciate the beauty of her lyrics and the sweetness of her voice. I have mostly worked stressful jobs in my adulthood, and listening to her while at work really soothed me. Plus, I didn't feel like I was listening to crappy gentle rock that still includes Michael Bolten ... ew. Even if I wasn't paying attention to her lyrics and was instead focussing hard on my job, after listening to her albums over and over again - the words finally reached me - and I found out that I really liked her music and that I was slowly calming down.

It must be amazing to reach a person on that level ... and especially to help relax them when they're drawn tight as a wire strung between venitian blinds. I would like to be able to do that with my writing, but I don't think I've reached that state of continual serenity within myself yet. I'm still angry, angsty, and holding only the energy that a young woman who hasn't quite found the exact path she wants to follow yet. Plus, I write suspense, so there isn't much chance I'll get fluffy any time soon ... still soooo angry.

Yeah, and I still don't like 'Angel' - I always used to skip it.

5 Comments:

  • I liked Angel... but then all the radios played it SO many times that I got fed up with it. It lost the «magic».

    I guess that Dido is for me what Sarah is for you. Her voice is beautiful and helps me relax. Also, her CDs must be the only ones I listen to the whole tracks. Her song "Here with Me" is still one (if not THE one) of my favorites.

    I like "Fallen" by Sarah. That's my favourite song of her.

    By Blogger algelic, at 7:10 a.m.  

  • Yep - Fallen is definitely a good one.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 8:06 a.m.  

  • is she the one who sings world on fire?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 p.m.  

  • YEP! She sure is! ^^

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 2:23 p.m.  

  • You KNEW that! I know I told you that. You just scraped the information under the carpet of your brain because you didn't want to believe it.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 1:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home