Wild Moon Swings

Monday, May 22, 2006

Wanna Play Old Manga?

I didn't exactly want to turn this into Kenshin month, but it might turn out that way. I can't help it. I really have him on the brain. I can't decide if I like him better when he's fighting or when he's goofing off. ^_^!

Okay, so lately I got my hands on volumes one through ten of Rurouni Kenshin ... the manga. I haven't read very many manga. I've read a couple volumes of Crest of the Stars, Slayers, and all of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, and all that is currently available of Gokusen. Other than those I'm not really much of a manga maniac. But I'm slowly coming around to the idea that I actually like manga better than anime. Anime is a BIG time investment, and it's sickening how much more screwing around goes on in an anime series compared to a manga. Manga is so much more compressed and gets to the point so much faster. If you're bored and want to get on with things, just speed up your reading and if you're enjoying it - you can read the page a couple more times before you move on.

So, I was trying to decide what really launched this little Kenshin phase and I think it was Inu-yasha. I was watching Inu-yasha and I was getting frustrated with it. It was moving sooo slowly ... urgh ... so slow. Not that parts of it weren't enjoyable because they were, but the plot is so well distributed that as an author I was sitting there going, "How dare they screw around with my time like this!" For instance, they do a plot arch about Inu-yasha, and then one about Sango and her brother and then one about Kagome and then one about Chippo, and Muzuku (I think) and then they do another round, hitting all the characters again and I was sitting there going "Bloody hell!" So even though I'd faithfully watched a DVD everyday for several weeks - I was no where near finishing it. And ya know what? Every second that I watched it just made me want to watch Kenshin more. So then, I went and downloaded a whole crap load of AMVs and now I'm reading the manga. It's interesting. I'm on volume seven right now.

Okay, on a different subject, I don't really like doing side notes, but this one time, I'll have to.

Side Note Number One - If you want to access my new blog called 'Ghost Mist', then there is a link to it on my link bar. So, go to if you're interested.

Side Note Number Two - My brain is actually exactly like the inside of a spagetti squash ... really gross ... yeah, I'm sorry. My brain is pudding ... or something very akin to it. So, this is a pretty random post. Excuse me ... very random.

2 Comments:

  • My brain is like spaguetti too. This week I have 3 tests... two are done, one more to go. SO much stuff to study! And the worse part is that I can't, in good conscience, dedicate myself to my writing when I know that I'm running on a tight schedule for studying. Well, I guess I couldn't write even if I had the time, since my brain is turned into mush right now. Only Thursday will I calm down.

    Inuyasha is SO slow! OMG that is why I've given up on watching the anime! I've only read episode summaries and etc. They only took... 167 episodes and two movies to get Inuyasha and Kagome to kiss...! -_-

    A friend of mine told me about what happened in a Kenshin OVA (I think that's what you call it). He told me that he left the woman (whose name I can't remember right now) after getting her pregnant and then came back again to her decades afterwards and she, the ever inteligent creature, asked him to bed her (ignoring the fact that he had a contagious and deadly disease) and then they both died and rottened. @_@ I was so shocked! I could almost kill my friend for telling me that! He knew I'd be VERY sad/disgusted/dissapointed with an ending like that! So I kinda decided not to see anything Kenshin anymore. That image my friend described me (with detail -_- ) haunts me now!

    I bet manga is very cool! I never saw manga (only scanlations on the web, and they were in japonese), so don't know much about it.

    By Blogger algelic, at 12:55 p.m.  

  • They only kiss after 167 episodes and two movies? Forget that crap! I am SO not watching Inu-yasha anymore - screw that!

    What your friend described to you is the second Kenshin OVA. And from what I understand after episode 52 of the anime, they didn't stay close to the plot line in the manga and did something else (the manga wasn't being written as fast as the anime was being made) so they started to do another plot. Everyone I talk to was pissed off with the ending of the second OVA. I've seen it and yeah, it spoiled my love for Kenshin for awhile, but now I'm strong enough to ignore it and move on with the manga. I actually have not seen episodes 70 - 92 of Kenshin and I'm thinking that I won't bother. After episode 52, it really went down hill. I didn't know that about the manga the first time I watched it, but I still noticed the difference and was brutally disappointed.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 1:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home