Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Taking out the Trash

Okay, so I said that I would write posts based on what I wrote about myself in the last post. I have already talked about writing at length anlkd my creativity really knows no bounds, so today I thought I'd talk about clutter and how I feel about it.

I'm the sort of person who believes in the concept 'slash and burn'. Please allow me to explain. When I was 12 I took went into my bedroom and decided that I was no longer a child. I stripped the walls of all the pictures I had up of cats and dogs and teddy bears and I threw them all away - directly into the trash. I took all my dolls and all my stuffed animals and I put them in boxes and took them down to the basement. I went into my mom's linen closet and took out a blue hospital blanket and put it over my girly looking quilt. By the time I was finished, there was practically nothing on my shelves, there was only one or two pictures left on the walls, and what was once a cluttered little girl's room became as sterile as a hospital. All because I was no longer a child.

Now, here's the important question. Did anything happen to me to spur this set of actions? No - nothing did. I just happened to realize the truth. I hadn't touched my stuffed animals or kids books in ages.

So, after I left home, my mom mentioned to me that there were six boxes in her basement that belonged to me and it was about time I took them out of her house. So, I sat in my mother's living room and carefully went through all six boxes. I ended up sending five of them to charities without a backward glance. The box that is not large. It's about the six of three anime box sets. And recently I went through the box again and chucked half of what was in it.

To put it bluntly - I am not attached to physical objects.

I love appliances and things that work hard for you and make your life easier, but ticky tacky junk can just go ... I don't like owning things like that. And throwing things away is so liberating.

I feel like I've talked about this before. I've talked about this before, haven't I?

Anyway, everyone go read Don Aslets' book 'Clutter's Last Stand' and obey it like it's the wisest thing you've ever read. I know it'll make your life a lot better. Not only will you curb your spending habits, but you'll have so much more brain room for other things. I just know you'll love it.

3 Comments:

  • I always argue with myself about what is important to keep and what's not. For example: My mother is just like you- Don't need it, takes up space, chuck it. My Father on the other hand is a bit of a packrat and I haven't exactly figured out why. I don't think he's really sentimental, I don't know maybe he thinks it'll come in handy sometime down the road...?

    As a child I wanted to learn more about my parents when they were my age(s) because they never really talked much about growing up. I once had to write a report about my Father for school and I actually had to interview him because I had no idea what to write. I think I still have that report...

    My point is that since my parents were never really open about their childhood, I feel that I have that responsibility to keep those "important" things that mark the events that happened while I was growing up. Mind you, when I left my parents' home I think I took at least 3 apple boxes of momentos with me. Since I've been married, I have drastically reduced the amount to one small box. However, I do regret throwing some of that stuff away.......most of it HAD to go as it was just a fire hazard. lol

    It's weird to "blame" my parents for turning me into a packrat, but I kinda do. I guess I should really read that book, hey Sapphy? It's easy to get overwhelmed quickly.

    Fourlittlepeas

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 p.m.  

  • OMG. The exact same thing happened to me!! And I was about that age too!

    You have no idea how childish and girlish my room was... I mean:
    -white carpet with a pink bear drawing
    -quilt made by my grandmother with patches of different tissues, mostly red and pink
    - LOTS of stuffed animals and barbies on shelves and on the floor
    - toys and all that stuff
    - a lamp on my bedside table that was a clay CLOWN

    And just like you, one day I got fed up of all of it. I didn't play with it and I was certanly not a little girl anymore. That day I put my stuffed animals in boxes and gave my less-favorite toys to my younger cousins. Do I miss any of that? No.

    I couldn't throw the stuffed animals in the trash. They're in card boxes in the attic. They hold many memories, and I know that in 10 years or so I'll open those boxes and like to see them again.

    My room is really empty. Aside from the tons of books that I have, there is no clutter. I hate when the rooms are filled with stuff. I like them to have only the essencial.

    PS: I've posted the 2nd chapter of my story. AND I saw that it had 100 hits!! 100! I'm bouncing off the walls with pure joy! And then I think... 100 hits and 7 reviews?! Ok...

    By Blogger algelic, at 2:28 p.m.  

  • Good for you Algelic - it sounds so much like we're kindred spirits. Keep hanging out here - kay?

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 7:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home