Wild Moon Swings

Friday, May 12, 2006

Orange Boots

Today, I've decided to talk about something that makes me ridiculously happy for no good reason. I wear orange boots. They are my favourite thing in the UNIVERSE that I have ever worn on my body. I can't even explain how much I love them, but today I'm going to tell the story of my orange boots and how they have affected my life.

But first, I have to say that this picture is from the doc martin website and if you want to buy them, you'll have to pay in pounds. My orange boots are not docs, but these boots I'm showing are like ... the epitimy of everything I have ever dreamed about, except for one thing - my boots have laces like figure skates so they're faster to lace than these.

I bought my orange boots for $55 when I was finishing grade 10. They were majorly on sale and were originally $110 - other kids in my grade had the same boots, but none of them were brave enough to wear the orange ones - they wore the black ones. When I went to buy them I had to have orange because they were the only ones in my size because they were trying to clear out their stock and everything else had already been sold. Now, $55 was a LOT for me to spend on boots. My parents were paying for them and my parents didn't really have any money, so I had to beg for them, and promise to wear them everyday. But they were a foolish purchase. When I went to my small school wearing them I was instantly teased by the boys and not in a good way. I was discouraged, and I wanted to stop wearing them, but I'm spunky ... or rather this is when I really proved that I was spunky. I didn't take teasing well, and I'm the type to turn spiteful quickly. I went home and looked at them - they were HUGE and looked MASSIVE on my feet and to top it all off - they were orange, so they were eye-catching.

Now, my sister had the same experience when she was a teenager and she ended up wearing yellow doc martins, so was encouraged. My sister didn't live at home anymore, so I felt like it was up to me to make a stand for rebellious youth (if you're from a city then you have no clue how hard it is to step outside the lines when you live in a small town and everyone you see knows everything about you, your siblings, your parents, grandparents - you get the picture). I buckled under and wore my orange boots every single day with a twinkle in my eye and a flirtacious smile on my lips until I convinced everyone that I liked them and that I wasn't afraid to fight back.

Even still, the symbol of individualism that comes from my orange boots inspires me beyond explanation. Even just walking down the street while wearing them empowers me. To me, odd coloured boots are the flag of rebelliousness, and the colour you pick is your battle flag. And whenever I want to kick some ass - you'd better believe that I still wear them. They're really sturdy.


Just as a side note here, I also love gem stones and my ultimate gem is an orange sapphire. Naturally, with a name like Sapphirefly I should show that I love sapphires. It's not my birthstone or anything - I just love colours and hate diamonds. A sapphire is the closest to a diamond on the hardness scale - a diamond is a 10, well, a sapphire is a 9. So, they're durable.

So, what is it that draws me to orange? Long ago I wrote a post about how much I hate the colour red, so why do I like orange? Orange is an uglier colour. Yeah, I think orange is an uglier colour. It's because it's ugly that I like it. It's because it's loud and obnoxious and it makes no excuses for itself. It just is what it is. And, in case I haven't mentioned it before - I look intoxicatingly hot in it. I don't normally wear colours, but if I do - orange is it.

2 Comments:

  • I'm also "defying the system". Everyone I know has Eastpack backpacks for school. They have it in light blue, dark blue, black, green, sometimes pink. Well, mine is yellow and orange! It has a yellow background and small drawings of summer stuff all over it. I think it's cool. Of couse, I've been teased a lot about it. But do I care? NO. And I bring it everyday!

    Good news on my fanfic! :D I think I'll have the first chapter absolutely ready for release by next Thursday! I FINALLY figured out how I'm going to get Van into the story (I had been very frustrated for not having a good idea for that scene!!). So now I feel secure about releasing the first chap! weeeeee! I will be romantic, but not so much in a physical way, and adventurous. I'M HAPPY!

    Right now I'm sooo tired. It's midnight here right now. I've done some touches on my blog and I'm going to write a bit more of my fanfic. Bye! ;)

    By Blogger algelic, at 4:11 p.m.  

  • Love it, Love it, Love it! I love the rebeliousness, I love the colour, I love the attitude! I used to own brown leather Docs that laced up to my knees when I was in Jr/High School. (If anyone wore them, they were black and these people were usually serious punks. Can you picture this tiny little girl wearing brown Docs laced up to her knees, when noone else but the punks were wearing their big black boots?)

    They weren't the type with the skate hooks, they were the real deal, and all the inconvienence that came with them. But I loved them, so I put up with that nusiance, and so did everyone else whether they liked it or not! LOL

    I ended up chucking them out just after I got married, they had just had it, and I was really sorry to see them go. *sniff* I've actually been on the lookout for some really good casual boots since now that I'm a little more girly all my shoes are pretty girly, I don't seem to have those shoes that work for kickin' butt! My rebel is in there, she's just shy! I know my husband wishes she wasn't so shy! LOL

    Hail, Power to the Women!

    Fourlittlepeas

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:57 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home