Wild Moon Swings

Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Only One

This is Kenshin week here on Wild Moon Swings. I am posting nothing but Kenshin art this week. This post is named for a fantastic Kenshin amv called "The Only One" by yellowcard. If you're not an amv fan - join up and download this vid. Way too lazy to look up the creator, but it's a great video and it's an excellent way for me to introduce the topic I plan on hashing today.

Lately, it has come to my attention that there is a certain conversation that takes place in most romantic movies. They ask something like, "Do you believe that there's only one man for one woman?" I have been trying to figure out if this is a question that people really ask themselves well into their thirties or if it's just a generic intimate sort of conversation that a couple can have in a romantic movie to accustom the audience to the idea that they are going to fall in love. There are other generic conversations they have too, like whether or not love and lust are the same thing, and whether or not love lasts forever. That sort of thing.

Well, I have only been asked this 'one person' question once, and though I had never really considered it a possibility my answer popped out immediately - NO WAY! And since that day, I have thought about it more and more until I have finally cut out my answer. I think how many people you're compatible with is in direct relation to how nice a person you are. If you're a nice person then there are probably about a million people on the planet that you could get along with, fall in love with, and have a pretty happy life with. If you're extremely grouchy ... than yeah ... there might just be one. This theory includes all sorts of things:
  • Are you the kind of person who needs your partner to be 100% hot?
  • Do you need your partner to be kind?
  • Do you need your partner to successful?
  • Your same religion?
  • Exactly how picky are you?
  • Are you all of these things so you have a lot to offer a partner?
I'm not saying that being picky is a bad thing, but obviously the less picky you are, the more options you have. Then there's the last question asking how desirable you are. This doesn't apply to women as far as I'm concerned. I've never heard of a woman who didn't have tons to offer a man. I find that the problem here mostly lies with men -- not all men -- so no one jump down my throat, okay? But it seems to me that some (repeat ... some) men have this thing in their head that tells them that if they don't get a woman hot like Catherine Zeta Jones then they're settling for less. In that guy's case, yes, there is only one woman for you ... and oops - she's married to Michael Douglas (at least last time I checked).

Anyway, onto my question about these generic conversations in movies. I have to, I just have to comment on the love vs. lust question. Lust is easy. Lust takes no work. It's natural and the feelings are easy. Love, on the other hand is a lot of work. But even though it's hard, it has it's good days - charging the castle on a white steed. And it's bad days - changing an extremely dirty diaper for a woman after eight hours of work and two long commutes. Yeah, that's not glamorous to anyone and I think people may expect their relationships to be glamorous.

Love does last forever. It really does, or rather, it really can, but that does mean that you might end up spoonfeeding your husband after he has a stroke and you might not end up on that vacation in Mexico. Yeah, resting for a few minutes beside a noisy vending machine in an uncomfortable hospital chair may not seem like much to you. It might not seem like a grand romantic guesture, but to the person who's been wheeled out into the hallway on a hospital bed that is more like serving tray - it's everything in the world. I've sort of got a little personal here ... but I have to say that I don't speak from the perspective of the person helping. I'm always the person in the bed, who needs the help. I always adore my husband more after I've been through a bad spell. There's no dress ripping, no elaborate scene designed to manipulate an audience's emotions, just him reassuring me that things will be all right, that he's worried about me and cares that I'm feeling bad. That's all there is to it.

So, saying something like that, you'd think that I would believe that he is the only man in the world for me, right? He's only the only man in the world for me because I have DECIDED that he is. There's the clincher.

4 Comments:

  • That's so sweet! ^^

    Well... my answer to «the question» would be: well, that's a nice fantasy but NO.

    Even though I don't believe that there's only one mate for each person, I still believe we should all look for someone special. Example: my friends jump on any guy who gets in their way... and that's always a physical thing which never lasts. Of course, after 2 days with their new boyfriend, they use the L word, and their definition of LOVE is: offering their boyfriend a big stuffed bear with 'I love You' letters on the tummy... yeah... that's stupidity for you!

    I'd like to find someone who will stick with me when I need him. For me, that's the biggest demonstration of love. Being there when you need him. Holding you when you feel bad. Driving you to the hospital when you have a seizure (or something). I'm sure one day I'll find that person who can truly love me and not try to win me over by giving me stuff. ONE DAY.

    :D I put the new chapter last night and already I have 6 new reviews! Yes! Happy happy! Also, 155 hits now! Weee!

    By Blogger algelic, at 2:17 a.m.  

  • Oh, now it ocurred to me that there's a song that your post totally reminded me of. It's "In Loving Memory" by Alter Bridge. That song is just absolutely amazing and it always makes me wanna cry. It talks about loving and losing a person. Also the lyrics are just excelent.

    Also, I don't believe in love at first sight. I think there is only 'attraction at first sight' but never love. Love is something that takes time to build and even more time and effort to mantain. Do I make any sense? lol

    By Blogger algelic, at 2:56 p.m.  

  • I do not drop many comments, however i did a few searching and wound
    up here "The Only One". And I actually do have some questions for you if it's allright. Could it be just me or does it appear like a few of these responses appear as if they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on other places, I would like to follow anything new you have to post. Would you make a list of the complete urls of all your community pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

    my web site :: visit

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:24 a.m.  

  • I just could not depart your web site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard
    information an individual supply to your visitors?
    Is gonna be again frequently to investigate cross-check
    new posts

    my site - after bunni

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home