Wild Moon Swings

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Ryoma


So, continuing on with Kenshin week, here on Wild Moon Swings, I have come to talk about the book I'm reading right now. It may surprise some of you, or it may not surprise any of you, but I don't read very often. Don't get the wrong idea though, I am fairly well read and have read many classics, many romance novels, many comic books, many bylaws, and lots of things on any major reading list. I'm just tired of listening to other people express their views and am dying to express mine. So, when I do read - it has got to be something pretty special. With all that said, I prefer to write than read.

Anyway, the book I'm reading right now is called 'Ryoma, Life of a Renaissance Samurai'. Himera Kenshin is a fictional character but Sakamoto Ryoma was a real person ... and actually way more interesting than Kenshin because his exploits are real. But, they were both hanging out in Japan during the fall of the Shogun. Kenshin is supposed to be the master assassin for Choshu. Well, when I was watching the Kenshin OVA, I had no idea what that meant ... historically. But now I know that the Choshu boys were like the ULTIMATE BADASSES at that time and saying that Kenshin was the choice warrior of General Takasugi is such an intense compliment/reference that it suddenly made Kenshin 100x more THE MAN to me. If he was the best Takasugi had then that really makes Kenshin probably the best swordsman in Japan.

Now Ryoma was a lower samurai from Tosa, who went ronin before Kyoto was razed. He didn't care about Tosa and was concerned with only with the future of Japan - which was revolutionary thinking at the time. He didn't believe that his soul was in his sword and was just as happy to get a gun when they came along ... actually Ryoma's first pistol was a gift from General Takasugi.

Just as a side note: When I was reading Ryoma I found that Katsura Kogoro was in it a lot and I was wondering it that was the same person Kenshin was working for in the OVA - it is! I wondered if Katsura really did his hair with that much of a pompedor as he does in the anime, and you know what - I'm looking at an actual photograph of the man right now, and yeah *giggle* he did.

Anyway, talking about Ryoma again Japan was at serious risk of being invaded by European powers at that time. Japan had not opened it's boarders to foreigners in a couple hundred years and their technology was really behind the rest of the world. Ryoma was on a mission to save Japan, and was an extremely interesting person. He was the head of a dojo in Edo by the time he was 19, and was the founder of Japans first modern corporation. The book is crammed with all this facinating political intregue, which, in case you didn't know is one of my all time favourite thing.

I also admit that I have a thing for biographys about people who were not actors. For some reason, reading or watching the biography of an actor makes me want to die. Really really die, and in an extremely painful way. It's disgusting to me to hero worship someone who honestly has accomplished so little. I'd much rather talk about real people who really did things. Yeah, I know, I'm always referring to my distain for pop culture.

Anyway, 'Ryoma' is by Romulus Hillsborough, and I would say that it's a MUST READ for anyone who liked Kenshin. This guy will blow your mind apart, although he was not a traditional samurai. He had thrown off a lot of those ideas, but nevertheless was an absolute hero. I laugh, I cry - it moves me.

9 Comments:

  • That's sweet! I'd like to read about samurais too, when I have the time. =P

    I'm thinking of buying some books about Mary Madalene (I don't know if I translated the name right). Watching The Da Vinci Code movie made me love that story again. I love the theory about her being Jesus' wife (and I'm not religious, in fact I have no religion). I liked how they spoke about the Church chasing women around, claiming they were witches and burning them. It is true. Women had no rights, they were just baby-making machines and that's it! And that theory about Mary says that the church did everything to kill the descendants of Jesus so the people wouldn't find out that he was just a mortal man. Interesting...

    As soon as I'm done with my exams... BOOKS! I want to read something besides chemistry! :P

    Oh now I have billions of new ideas for my story! @_@ I had to change the 3rd chapter a lot for it to fit my ideas. Actually, I am pretty pleased with the 3rd chapter. After so much effort, I was able to write what I wanted and still have space to make up new things in the future.

    By Blogger algelic, at 12:11 a.m.  

  • Hey algelic,

    You should learn not to write such contraversial posts - it excites people who have different convictions than you. I am a Christian, but I am unfamiliar with The Da Vinci Code, nor am I particularly interested. The only thing I have to say is that a true follower of Christ would never treat a woman badly. Christ taught that all of us should love our neighbours as ourselves. I don't believe that the true church of Christ survived after the apostles died. But, to me he wasn't just a man, but my savior, and the son of God. It's amazing how many people I meet who are totally apathetic towards religion, and when there are so many skeptics eager to prove that Christ was false, I suppose it would be hard not to be. However, a belief in God comes directly from God. So if you want to find out the truth about whether or not Christ was the savior of the world, or just an ordinary man, than you'd better pray about it and ask God to grant you wisdom. He'll definitely answer your prayer.

    All the love in the world,
    Sapphirefly

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 6:36 a.m.  

  • Oh but I like to write contraversial posts, they are so much more interesting.

    I don't have a religion mostly because my family is really NOT religious. I want to believe in a higher power, I want to believe that the reason I'm here is not just because of a series of chemical reactions. I respect religion, and I also respect the character of Christ.
    I believe there was a Christ, but what I mean is that my faith in God wouldn't be weaker if I knew that Christ was a man, had a wife and had children. I find extremely fascinating the theory that Mary Magdalene might have been his wife.
    And even though I am not a Christian, I do sometimes pray. You might ask "How can you pray if you don't believe?", but sometimes when I start to lose my faith in this world, with all the war and crime, I feel the need to turn to a higher power.
    Well I might have just contradicted myself. In short: I'm not a Christian but I do believe in a higher power. It is to that power that I pray when I lose my faith in this world.

    By Blogger algelic, at 9:29 a.m.  

  • I knew a guy once who said that he didn't believe in God, but he prayed sometimes because it made him feel better.

    Anyway, I'm sorry to do this, but since I really don't want to turn my blog into a place where religious perspectives are debated (because I don't believe in having religious debates) I'm going to have to ask you (most politely) not to post something along those lines here again. Don't get me wrong - I like you and you are completely entitled to your beliefs and my respect, but this is just the way it has to be for me.

    Sorry - I'd do this to anyone no matter what they said. I almost said so in my my first post, but I didn't think you'd reply.

    I'll do another post about something else right away. Cheers!

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 1:50 p.m.  

  • I'm so sorry if I offended you. I just wanted to explain my point of view. Anyways, I promise not to talk about that anymore. :) Really, I'm sorry.

    By Blogger algelic, at 3:56 p.m.  

  • Cheer up! I'm not offended. I just don't want to talk about that sort of thing here. Cheers!

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 6:34 p.m.  

  • Watsuki Nobuhiro actually created Kenshin based on one of the four assassins during that period. The assassin was slim and small, and likely to be mistaken for a woman at first glance. There wasn't very much data on him, I think, but Nobuhiro liked the idea and used it on Kenshin. I think this was in one of the footnotes in the first Kenshin manga volume.

    My favorite bad-ass Kenshin description is one that Tomoe tells him when she first meets him: that many writers use "blood flowed like rain" but Kenshin actually does it ^^

    By Blogger jomiel, at 10:49 p.m.  

  • Oh, also, Nobuhiro said that he drew Kenshin's cross-scars so Kenshin wouldn't look so effeminate. It's intersting to think about at what point Nobuhiro developed the scar into the Revenge Arc, the storyline that propelled another ~10 books...

    By Blogger jomiel, at 10:52 p.m.  

  • It ALWAYS happens like that. An author does a little detail at the beginning without thinking and then all of a sudden, you've got yourself another book. You got to be careful at the beginning of a story when you're tempted to mouth off because it can change things drastically. However, I'm dying to get to the revenge arch, but I only have up to volume 10 *cry*. I'll have to get some more.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 7:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home