Wild Moon Swings

Friday, May 26, 2006

The Universe has an Attitude


Okay, so remember how I said that I wasn't going to scrapbook anymore? Well, I really meant it. I meant it so much that I gave all my scrapbooking supplies to my sister. Granted, there wasn't a lot, but all that I did hadI gave to her.

So, now I got an assignment that requires me to head back to the scrapbooking supply store. I'm not exactly scrapbooking, but I need to make some bookmarks and fridge magnets. I'm making little gift baggies with goodies and stuff to give to people. Except that my personality won't let me do a half assed job at something like this. So today, I went and purchased cardstock, four different kinds of ribbon, a new hole punch, pinking shears, a pink stamp pad, and more. I only bought as much as I would need to finish the assignment, but I feel like the universe is making fun of me.

It must be because I was being inflexible by saying that I won't do scrapbooking anymore. So, the Universe snickers and says 'I'll show her that she'll do whatever I tell her to do'. And I'm like, 'You don't need to yell, Universe. You and I both know that I'll do whatever you want me to, so do we really have to have this power struggle?' Then the Universe raises an eyebrow and says sassily, 'Then don't make promises you can't keep.' *sigh* My father must be on speaking terms with the universe again ... that's the only explaination.

So, I'm standing in the scrapbooking aisle wondering why white cardstock doesn't come in standard lettersize unless you happen to be buying enough of it to outfit the copy shop you don't intend to open when a song comes on over the store speakers. A very poignant song that was extremely important to me in my past life, and practically stuffs in my face how bad things can go when I go against the Universe. I'm piling the stuff in my cart going - 'I got it! I understand! See? I'm doing what you want. You don't have to be so hard on me. I wasn't even planning on running away from my responsibilitie. Sheesh!'

But, when I'm standing looking at cardstock, I'm also appalled at the sizes of all the paper. All the nice paper comes in such weird sizes. Ya gotta wonder if anyone can run it through a printer or if all the women who purchase such things always write everything out with stamps, stickers, or embossing tools. Then I'm like, 'Is this one of those things that doesn't make sense, Universe? One of those things? Why can't you make this easy for me?'

So, here are my questions for the universe:
  1. Why aren't kids toys/adult toys built with solar cells in them instead of requiring batteries? An off-and-on switch is all you'd need to prevent insanity, and I would never have to replace the batteries in some of those simple gadgets again.
  2. Why is my spotless white shirt always the first thing to get a stain on it? You know I only really like wearing black and white.
  3. And latestly, the one that drives me the most crazy. Why aren't office supplies and scrapbooking supplies compatible?
Actually, I have a pretty good relationship with the Universe. I feel like he treats me pretty good, and he's worked hard to make me happy. This post isn't a reflection of my religious beliefs. I've just needed someone in my head to talk things over with lately, and I've named that someone the Universe - vaguely thinking that the person in my head must know something I don't. It's like that Simpson's episode, "Homer, I'm just your memory - I can't give you any new information.' Or something like that. LOL.

The truth is that I'm sorta laughing at myself. How ... non amusing.

4 Comments:

  • LOL I also have a little voice in my head arguing with me.

    Usually our discussions are like this: I get in trouble, then I do what I alsays do, I try to avoid dealing with it for as long as I can, then the little voice in my head says "You can run but you can't hide..." and then fate plays with me and doesn't allow me to «run» for very long... and that little voice gives a cruel laugh and says "See? I told you! Now you're gonna get it!".

    LOL did what I just say make any sense?

    My 4th chapter is still nameless. I'm going to admit why... I've written about 4 «versions» of the 4th chapter. There's always something that displeases me. Mostly what angers me is my character's dialogue... I know exactly how I want the characters to be but the things I'm making them say are just uncompatible with their profiles. Urgh! Frustration! Anyway, the name is the last thing I think about.

    By Blogger algelic, at 3:07 a.m.  

  • Glad to see you didn't fall off the planet, my girl. I'm cheering for you and your fic!

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 8:27 a.m.  

  • I tried to leave you a comment over on the Ghost Mist blog, but it doesn't take anonymous posts so I'll stick it over here for the moment

    You do realize that almost every published author will tell you they had a wall papered in rejection slips before they got their first piece published. Think of rejection slips as figuring out how to get the publishers interested, just like writing fanfiction is figuring out what your audience wants to read. The only difference is, the publishers are a bit less constructive in their comments and not always as nice about considering your feelings in their comments.

    Shavaineth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 a.m.  

  • Hey Shavy,

    Yeah, I know you think that. I'll try to be less pessimistic for you, but I can't help it. I'm a little afraid of the unknown. So sending something to a publisher is a little terrifying. That makes me normal, right?

    Besides, I should be in a good mood. I accomplished one of my goals for fanfiction yesterday, and then today, I accomplished it again. So, I should be happy.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 10:14 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home