Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

King of Spades - go kick some Ass!

Okay, so this is a bad thing to admit. Back when I was coming up with my system of power in Mystic Wings, I didn't research an actual tarot deck properly. I tried, but for some reason my searches were totally fruitless, but now that I'm working on Mark of a Goddess, I decided to get into it, just enough to figure out the names for a few new characters. I wouldn't take no for an answer and I found out what I was looking for.

Before I say anything else, I have to say quite noisily that I don't believe in astrology, tarot readings, palm readings, numerology, or anything like that.

With that said, I think it's quite clear why my idea to turn the characters from a tarot deck into people with magical powers never occurred to anyone else, because I had no friggin idea what a tarot deck really was. I had no idea that it was so much like ordinary face cards. And who would think to give characters the names of face cards and send them out into the world armed with mystical powers? "Hey you! King of Spades - go kick some ass!" *sigh* I know exactly who - the same people who turn Sir Isaac Newton into a bad guy, and Joan of Arc into a phantom thief who seals the demons in paintings ... and me ...

I'm not feeling terribly stupid about the idiocy of my power system. I wrote a really good disclaimer before the chapter where I reveal all this that said that I knew nothing whatever and that I was just making it up as I went. I feel like I tried my best to come up with something no one else had done before. Alas, I'm catching myself turning into a post-modernist, and I don't even have the sense to be ashamed.

So, that's the story behind my story. Hope I didn't disillusion any of you about my greatness. No, I am not actually that great. I'm just willing to B.S. with the best of them *wink*.

8 Comments:

  • I can't wait for Mark of a Goddess! ^^
    So far you've done an amazing job with your escaflowne fanfiction!
    If you need/want any help with Mark of a Goddess, you can count on me! lol though I know nothing about tarot cards (I really don't believe in those things) I have a BIG imagination. :)
    And you should put a little bit more romance in Mystic Wings... ok maybe that's just my romance-addiction talking but I'm such a sucker for that (since in REAL life... romance is dead!).

    I finally commented on the new chapter... and it only took me about 1 hour to get the website to open ( -_- ). I am seriously pissed with my internet connection. Picture the anime scene with the vein popping out of my forehead... LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:14 a.m.  

  • Don't worry! Mystic Wings is finished now, and there is more romance to come. I just had to get all those other details out of the way first. So, more coming. I wouldn't leave you guys hanging like that. I'm really happy you like the story!!

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 11:15 a.m.  

  • I title of this blog made me laught!! I loved your first 2 books and I can't wait for the next one!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 p.m.  

  • The title of my blog made you laugh? Excellent. It's a play off the words "Wild Mood Swings". Actually, yesterday I decided to name one of my 'other' novels that. That's gonna be really sweet! Really Sweet! Come back more often jossi! It's good to see your face.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 5:51 p.m.  

  • Actually I meant "King of Spades - go kick some Ass!" made me laught! but i like wild moon swings too..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:27 p.m.  

  • **Blush** Gomen!

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 8:05 p.m.  

  • what anime does "Joan of Arc into a phantom thief who seals the demons in painting" ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 a.m.  

  • Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. I write about it in my post called 'If I was a five year old girl". The manga is girl canon. If you haven't read it and you enjoy romance - you're missing out on the best in life. So, go read it.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 9:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home