Wild Moon Swings

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Guys Must Dig Robots


So, when I was reading Kenshin, I was reading the author's notes about how their fanmail had only recently reached a point where about 30% of it was from guys. Apparently the other 70% was from chicks, so I was thinking about the differences between an anime, manga, or just a story that is geared towards guys or girls.

Girl Anime

I'd say the fastest way is to ask - are there guys with wings? If there's a guy with wings then, yeah, it's for chicks. No doubt about it. Some examples are:
  • Escaflowne
  • D.N.Angel
  • Full Moon wo Sagashite
Of course a male character needn't have wings if they've got something else going for them. Like Zidane in FFIX having a tail, Zelgadis and Xellos in Slayers, and unfortunately Inu-yasha. I think you get the idea. I've got chaos from Xenosaga as a pic today because Xenosaga nicely illustrates both points I'd like to make. Yep, chaos from Xenosaga is definitely an angel (the third installment isn't out yet, but I think he's an angel), and then there's Kos Mos who's a robot. So, girls dig angels, while guys dig robots.

Boy anime

Is usually about a chick robot girl kicking butt. Granted she doesn't have to be a robot, but I think that they like for her to be extremely cold. Notice how most of the manga covers for Evangelion are of Rei? Coincidence? I think not. Here are some examples:
  • Solty Rei
  • Battle Angel
  • Black Cat
Then if I were to do a list of female characters that are cold and guys like them, I'd have a long freakin list. Anyway, that's just my little observation for the day. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home