Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Rocky Road to China

I sort of have a love-hate relationship with Chinese Food. When I was a child there was a chinese food restaurant in the neighbouring kingdom that sold the absolute yummiest of all chinese food - and subsequently - of ALL food. I don't live close anymore, but I have found a few occasions in which to go back, and the food isn't the same at all. Each time I've been more grossed out than the last. It's really a pity, but before I was disenchanted with that particular place, I was on a search to find an excellent chinese restaurant in my own domain. This has been a struggle. Let's talk about the different kinds of food I've tried to cuddle up to in the absence of ... anything edible.

The Chinese food I've had since I moved to this realm has been increasingly greasy. Everything I have tried has fallen like a deep fried paper weight onto a wet paper towel. The wet paper towel being my stomach, and I've been sick for days trying to flush the wicked stuff down my system. Usually, I end up ordering because I am so tired of eating pizza (when the occasion arises that I must order for delivery) that I could scream. So, I opt for Chinese because ordering from a KFC brings up a rampage all on it's own and the conflicts that play behind the throne room. But today, there was a miracle and I'll talk about the magnitude of it at the end.

My first experience with Japanese food was bad. Sushi isn't bad - not really - but it took me a long time to get over that first bad experience. Since then, I've enjoyed a relatively pleasant relationship with the cuisine from the land of the rising sun. The only real complaint I have is that whenever I order the soup, I usually can't finish it because it's so bland.

I love Vietnamese! It might just be that I love fish sauce. I stayed away from it like it was the plague when I was pregnant because I didn't want the fragrance of that sweet sweet spring roll dipping yumminess to get rolled into all the other things I developed a distaste for when I was pregnant. Seriously, just thinking about that stuff earns me a mouth full of fresh saliva because I crave it so instensely. It's yummy to the max!

Okay, so now back to my thing about Chinese food. I finally found a restaurant that isn't greasy, and still tastes great. So, this fairy tale has a happy ending after all ... I got to eat something that was good. And don't half of the fairy tales out there end with everyone sitting down and getting to eat something great - like plum pudding or something. Mmmm ... plum pudding ...

1 Comments:

  • Which place is it SapphireFly?? We're gonna have to get together now for a big feast, since you found a place worthy of your sensitive tastebuds!! LOL (Totally kidding!)
    After eating my mother's cooking for 18+ years, my pallate is hardly refined at all, but in some ways that's lucky because I'm not picky when it comes to food! LOL

    JQ

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:22 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home