Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Five Greatest

Here I thought I'd go over who I thought were the five best male characters from video games and anime. Next time I'll do the females, so don't think I only think about guys. The colour of the post is the colour of the character's hair. And just as a warning: MANY SPOILERS LIE AHEAD.

Xellos from Slayers

He's got to be the number one. There's no question. He's the Mysterious Priest, the Trickster Priest, the Lesser Beast and the Priest/General for the dark lord Zelas Metalium. He's a mazoku, which directly translated from Japanese means 'evil clansman'. It's sort of like a demon. He's an incredibly well crafted character. I've never seen anything like it.

He's the most powerful of the lesser mazoku, so the only mazoku able to slay him would be one of the five dark lords (the only people who outrank him). He appears to be genki (energetic), and basically freaking irritating, so it's hard to remember that everything (besides split second outbursts) point to the fact that he's very powerful and very dangerous. He's also a bit of a flirt, but everything he does is just to obtain his objectives. He's got an unlimited amount of confidence and he has a habit for leading everyone down the wrong path just for his amusement.

The way he's drawn is also extremely interesting. He looks completely serene and harmless until he opens his eyes wide and then he manages to look like the very devil. I personally think I did a great job of describing him in my fanfic Shadow Magic: Zelgadis and Lina. His part was such a blast in that fic. He's also my main character in my most popular one shot on ff.net Do What you Have to do, although he's in most of my Slayers fanfics.

Takuto Kira from Full Moon wo Sagashite

Takuto is a shinigami. The best translation I can think up for that word is 'death god', so he's sort of like the Grim Reaper, but for kids, so he dresses up like a cat. He has a tail, and little angel wings that come out of a backpack on his back. He was a singer when he was alive, but though a series of unpleasant events he was in a motorcycle accident that happened to be his fault, so he died, and as punishment (because he didn't value his life) he became a shinigami. However, he's pretty mouthy (which is of course why I liked him so much), and he uses bad langauge and yells at everyone. He also gets into the occasional fist fight, which is also fun. Anyway, he's not as deep as Xellos, but because he's mouthy, he's very entertaining to watch.

Zelgadis Greywers from Slayers

Even though I think Xellos is better crafted than Zelgadis, I still like Zelgadis a great deal, especially in the first season before he goes soft. Don't get me wrong, Zel could never go soft, but he does get a lot less angsty and I preferred him when he was all hardcore. Anyway, Zelgadis is the grandson of a very powerful mage who was rotten to the core. In Zel's pursuit of power he made a deal with the mage and received power far beyond most humans, but at a terrible price. He is now one third demon, one third stone golem and one third human. So, he's oober pissed at the mage and vows his utter destruction - then searches everywhere in search of a way to regain his humanity. I seriously love Zel so I have an entire essay on him on my web site if you want to check it out.

Also, an important characterist for Zel is his voice - his Japanese voice. That guy who does his voice is superb. His voice is like butter off a duck's back - seriously. And it makes a big difference to how I perceived him as a character. Really good voice.

Van Fanel from A Vision of Escaflowne

Van is an interesting character for me. The first time I saw Escaflowne, I seriously didn't like him until close to episode 20, or maybe more. I wanted Hitomi to get with Allen, and was so cheesed I can hardly explain it when she ended up with Van and they never even got to kiss once. I went around stomping for days after I finished watching the series. But then, I thought about it. I thought about it for a long time and then I asked my husband to get me Escaflowne for a Christmas present, which he faithfully did. And then when I watched the first episode, something amazing happened - Hitomi turned over the Ace of Serpents and I went totally tingly - goosebumps head to foot. That second time I watched Escaflowne was the most fun I have EVER had watching anime. I knew where it was going and because of that, I understood everything that happened so much better, and watching it was like a miracle. And Van became a very interesting character. He still seems like a brat for the first five episodes though, and I don't think anything is going to change that.

Orha from Magna Carta: Tears of Blood

This guy is the whole reason I allowed for video games in my opening - the whole reason, but I really like Magna Carta. I usually pawn my video games when I finish playing them so that I don't feel so guilty about buying new ones, but there is no way I'm giving this one up. It's becoming part of my perminent collection (I only have three games as part of my perminent collection, so how do you like that?).

He's a Yason (part of the bad guys), and he's the head of the Four Warriors. He's not one of the main characters, and you hardly see his face (compared with the other two main), but he's important so he's one of the three guys that they actually took up to the highest level of graphical excellence. So, he's in the cut scenes. This is important because Calintz and Agrian are the other two guys they take up to that level and they both look way better than Orha, but I don't care. I'm totally one for eye candy when I play video games too - otherwise I never would have made it through
Final Fantasy X (was I the only one who thought Tidus was a complete wanker?). Anyway, I'm digressing. The thing is - this guy is soooo THE MAN. And I love guys who are THE MAN. I just know he's going to spark so many little teen hearts abeating, and become like Vincent from Final Fantasy VII who was an optional character but was so beloved by little girls on the internet (so many shrines) that not only did he get a major speaking role in Final Fantasy: Advent Children, but his very own game Dirge of Cerbius is coming out soon. Don't get me wrong, I plan to buy it. But I'm talking about Squarenix again.

I gotta cut myself off somewhere. Anyway, next time I'll talk about the girls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home