Wild Moon Swings

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Yeah, it was a corpse


Now, ya see, I really don't watch very many North American/ Westernized movies (movies that were orignally made in the English language). I watch so few actually that when I watch a new one I get to talk about it in detail because it's such a rare occurance.

So, there were only two movies from 2005 that I wanted to see - Harry Potter, and Corpse Bride. Harry Potter was good, but I was totally apalled at the lack of creativity thrown into Corpse Bride. It's good that it was only 75 minutes, because if it had been about five minutes longer, I probably would have had to turn it off.

The score was difficult to listen to as well, and as a matter of fact, I think it was probably the worst thing about the film (which explains why I chose to use the cover of the soundtrack for my blog).


But I don't believe in mindlessly flaming things so besides to say that I thought the story ran predictably true to form, even though they did all they could to derail it, it still turned out exactly how I expected, and that it was painful to listen to, I have to say some good things about it. I liked how they acted like dead people weren't scary, but rather just people we've known and loved who happen to have died. And as my darling friend pointed out, the five seconds they mock Gone with the Wind were good. Other than that I thought it had a lot of potential, but was pretty much a lifeless outing.

Anyway, it didn't have a lot of dark humour in it, and since that was the only possibility for comedy in it, I felt that it came off as a drama instead - that wasn't dramatic.


But, I'm probabl
y not the crowd they're trying to cater to. When I saw Nightmare Before Christmas, I thought it was pretty polly-wolly-crappy, but since then, somehow it's sort of turned into a classic of sorts - which is a thing I totally don't understand. When when I saw that I was the demented pre-teen, so I don't know what audience they're pulling in with this stuff.

I feel like a jerk for flaming this since generally I like Tim Burton, Danny Elfman, and Johnny Depp a great deal more than everyone else in Hollywood, but I really felt like I could have spent my time better like painting a picture of a guy with a big knife (note: that's a Strong Bad quote).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home