Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Five Greatest Part II

Okay, here we go for the girls. Once again: MAJOR SPOILER ALERT! DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO WRECK EVERYTHING FOR YOU! Okay, now with that said, once again the colours are the hair colours of the characters.

Yamaguchi Kumiko from Gokusen

I already did a post on Gokusen so I'm tempted just to refer you to that. Actually, yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Anyway, Kumiko is a mafia princess who decides to get a job teaching at a local high school. She's so hardcore - IT'S AWESOME! Seriously, she inspires me.

Takeshi Aya from Ultra Maniac

Ultra Maniac was not a fabulous series. It had a few good episodes, but for the most part it was pretty mediocre (I know I'm not spelling something right, and I am WAY too lazy to look anything up right now, so I'll probably spell all kinds of things wrong - NO COMPLAINING - NONE). She's the main character's best friend, and she's cute as a button. I don't think I can explain exactly why I like her so much, except that she's cute, and her reactions to the weird situations that arise are funny. She's got a pretty intense crush on a boy in her class and that's one of her defining characteristics - like me. Always had a crush on somebody ...

Yoko from The Twelve Kingdoms

Sorry, I don't know her last name, and like I explained earlier - way too lazy. Twelve Kingdoms is a long series. I think it's 46 episodes, and she's the main character, so that's a long way to travel with one person. Of course, you go on stints with other characters, but the time you spend with her is well spent. She's not a samurai, so she suffers from a lot of indecision that most anime characters don't suffer with.

I also talk about this anime in one of my other posts, so I thought I'd keep my comments to a minimum. But that post doesn't have the disclaimer on it, so now I can say whatever I want. So, she's a high school girl who gets zapped off into another world, where it turns out she's originally from and she's the empress of a kingdom. But needless to say, no one wants her as their empress and a huge portion of her government officals are out to get her. I love politics and the politics in Twelve Kingdoms are complicated enough to pacify me. So, she leaves court and goes to find out what the country is really like and ends up joining the rebels in their fight against the government. It's so hot.

Misato Katsuragi from Neon Genesis Evangelion

Misato seems so frivilous when you first meet her. It's a total shock to find out that she's a) not really a whore and b) in charge of commanding the battles the Evangelions fight. She a woman with a purpose and with an ugly past, but she manages to live fairly happily in her own way. I love the quote from the English dubbed version when Shinji first comes to live with her and is going through her refrigerator: "... snacks, and fifty gallons of beer! What kind of life does she lead?" Misato seems totally unresponsible and unreliable until there's a problem and then she comes through in a pinch. All the female characters from Evangelion were good though. Gainex (the company that made it) has the ability to rock me to my very core when it comes to their characters though. They go so indepth and create very real characters. I'm not sure who it is who works over there who comes up with all their stuff, but whoever it is, they really know their stuff. And I suspect they have several degrees in psychology.

Madlax from Madlax

She doesn't have a last name. She lives in a war zone and works as an assassin. Her personality is confusing though and it's hard to remember that she's a teenager, because she lives so much in an adult world. During the series she's basically being compared to a teenager named Maragret who lives in another country, and there could never be anything more different than these two characters. Yet, they're very much alike. It's difficult to explain without seeing the series. In the first episode, Madlax is driving away from the area where she just had a terrific battle and she's got this guy in the seat beside her. He's been shot and is seriously wounded, but he is with it enough to ask her for a date. You'd think that she's be such a hardened broad that she wouldn't answer him or she'd say 'yes' just to pacify him, but she does say 'yes' and she really means it. When he dies by her side she seem truly disappointed. It was very interesting - I thought - and it goes on being interesting for the rest of the series.

Okay, so now we've done the girls and the boys. I also would like to point out that among the male characters: NOT ONE OF THEM IS HUMAN. And among the girl characters: ALL OF THEM ARE HUMAN. Of course there is something special about each one of them though. I was trying to figure out why it worked out this way. I think the answer is boring though. I think I probably just find it easier to identify with the human female characters than the magical ones. See, isn't that boring?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home