Wild Moon Swings

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Mystic Wings


Okay, so I'm writing this blog about the sequel to my Escaflowne fanfic "Dragon's Moon". The sequel is called "Mystic Wings".

"Dragon's Moon" turned out to be more popular than I could have possibly fathomed. I've seen a few more popular fics, but not many. The response is even making me feel like I could actually write something good ... eventually. I still think I need some work, so I'm still working on fanfiction. Wait for me original fiction. Wait for me. *dramatic sigh*

Back when the story was still called "The Darkened Wave" (see my blog entitled "Dragon's Moon" if you want to know more about what I'm talking about with that), I intended to write another book. I wrote about three chapters and hadn't even come up with a title for it, before I abandoned the project. I think I was getting married or something. No wait ... it's coming back now ... I was fighting brutally with my chick roommates, and losing terribly. So, needless to say my creative juices weren't exactly flowing.

This time around when I started working on a sequel for the story, I didn't even look at my old stacks. I remember kinda what I started, and frankly, I remember pottering around in circles and having no plot. But there were so many things left undone at the end of the first book that I felt I had to continue, even though no one had read it at that point. So, this time I sat around and stewed in my own juices (note the ikky word I had to use twice - ew!) for months trying to figure out where I could take the story from where I finished it. At last I completed a 39 page story board for the sequel and after much diliberation decided to call it "Mystic Wings". But just as a little pop-up if you're interested, I nearly went with "Missing Wings". It was a close call and a very difficult choice.

I'm actually really impressed with what I was able to come up with. I'm just wondering if the story be a major flop or a major success. It can really only go one way or the other. Granted people read stories for different reasons and to one person one aspect of the plot is really important and a different aspect is interesting to a different person. Anyway, my audience might be reading for a myriad of reasons. It's difficult to say if it's the mystery, the action, or the romance that's keeping their interest alive. I feel like I fill the bill answering to each of those requirements with my new story, but I'll be devestatingly honest and say that if they're in it for the romance - they'll probably be disappointed, unless they can open their minds to a different interpretation of romance. As a teenager I probably wouldn't have appreciated a story like this, because when I was a teenager I just wanted everyone to get together, kiss, and live happily ever after. As an adult I hate the concept of 'happily ever after'. Quite frankly, it pisses me off. It's also because I have come to realize through my own experience that kissing is not the epitome of romance. And I'm aiming for the top. Nothing but the most heightened form of romantic tension will satisfy me for this story. I want it all, and even if no one reads, I'm gonna get it. And one more thing before I cap off this rampage, if anyone thinks I'm gonna go lemon - they've got another thing coming. Romance isn't skank either.

Okay, now that I've shouted my wildly unpopular views to the moon. I'll finish off by saying that I think "Mystic Wings" is going to be awesome. And I am going to have a F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S time writing it - so there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home