Wild Moon Swings

Monday, December 04, 2006

Goong

I've said before that I like Korean manhwa. This post is about 'Goong' (literally means palace). This is the story of an ordinary high school girl who has to marry the Seja (crown prince) of Korea (totally fictional - they sorta don't have a monarchy anymore). Anyway, the reason is that their grandfathers made a promise that they would marry. You would think that this would be quite fantastic and that the fun of marrying a prince would be 'Disney Magic!', however, it's not. The personal consequences and trouble that our herione face because of her marriage to this guy seem very accurate - as in, it would be a gigantic pain in the butt. She's seventeen and she can't live with her family or see them often. I know most 17 year-olds probably think that they'd cope marvelously, but I know that they wouldn't if they're used to living at home. She lives in her own palace (without anyone else living there who isn't a servant) and spends all her time either studying for school or for palace decorum. Suddenly, everyone is in her face and she doesn't get to do any of the normal things that a highschooler would get to do; like kiss a boy she likes, learn to drive a car, or go on her first date. And she's got this problem - she likes Shin (seja). It causes her no end in trouble.

I really like this story. I can't wait til it's licenced and printed and ready to purchase.

I love it when someone takes a traditionally generic sappy story that's geared at making people feel all fuzzy and transforming it into reality. The princexprincess theme is one that specifically grates on my nerves, too. So, this story is definitely special.

The only thing I have to complain about is the way the author depicts relationships with other nations. Maybe I don't know a lot about that sort of thing, and it seems like the author maybe didn't know a lot about it either. The only country they have any dealings with in this is England (one of the few countries left with a monarchy and I think that's the reason), but I would have been happier if they showed the interaction the royal family had with a government that had only elected officials. I think I would have found that a lot more satisfying. Naturally, I'm opposed to any system where the officials are not elected and of the glamourization of politicians. Al this is really meaningly though - background information that is completely unnecessary to the plot.

They show the cover for all 12 books, but I can get ahold of the final chapters, so I don't know how it ends. I'm excited though - tingling all over actually.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home