Wild Moon Swings

Saturday, November 25, 2006

V for Vendetta

Like I've said before, I don't watch very many movies and zero T.V. Actually, I rarely watch anything that wasn't filmed or made in Chinese or Japanese (usually Japanese), so I get to write reviews on all the English movies I watch. Tonight, it's V for Vendetta.

Everyone told me it was really good. I can't recall another film that so many people have praised. And I'll have to chip my own two cents in and say that I liked it a lot too. There were a lot of places that made me really uncomfortable though. It's because of my recent past. In one of my past lives (not a real past life, but more like a chapter in my life that is now over) I could endure watching all kinds of horrible things. Lately, it seems that my senses have been put through a tenderizer and I have become ... sensitive.

It seems that this film was based on a comic or a 'graphic novel'. That didn't surprise me at all. I've been reading a lot of manga lately and the way the film was put together seemed a lot more like a comic than like a novel. I'll have to watch it again to analyze it further.

When watching something like this the thing that always impresses me is the threat that the creator presents. Killing children is always high on the list of autocities that manage to play on a person's emotions. It doesn't seem to matter how many times they use it. So, I suppose there are a few tried and true ways to endear the audience to a hero that isn't pure as lily white snow. You see, it's hard to convince a desensitized viewer of the evilness of an antagonist these days without going to extremes. Yet, how do you top the previous conflict? That's a problem with serials and part of the reason why serials go stale. Yet, I've found that it's a problem that doesn't just hit a single series or a single concept. Almost all movies are boring or ridiculous to me these days. Only so much can be told in two hours and since everything has to appeal to everyone, it's hard to hit that magic number.

I was having a hard time coming up with a conflict for 'Scorpion's Reach' (the fourth book of my Escaflowne series) because I couldn't think of what could justify Hitomi to take action (I write action). Well, I think it depends on how willing you are to enter into the head of the antagonist.

Did you know that Daniel Day-Lewis was offered the role of Louis in Interview with the Vampire? He turned down the part because he didn't like what the role would do to him. I feel like that sometimes.

Anyway, I enjoyed this film a lot. It was really thought provoking.

1 Comments:

  • Here I am again (who says that being computerless can stop me from commenting your blog? LOL)

    I've never seen that movie. But it's on my 10-mile list of "Movies to Watch Before Turning 20". All I knew about it was that it had Natalie Portman (who I HATE... I'm not sure why). But now that you gave it a «good» grade... I'll go around and see it.

    I posted on my blog. ^^ (I'm SO addicted)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:34 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home