Wild Moon Swings

Monday, June 05, 2006

For the Love of Shoujo


Okay, so lately, I've been reading some ... shoujo (girl manga). I guess it's the new pink ... or something like that. Anyway, I've been reading stuff like Shishi Doumei, Sleeping Beauty (not what you'd think), Kakan no Madonna, and Milk Crown. The pic I've got today is Jin from Milk Crown. I picked that one because it's my favourite of the ones I listed.

I have to do a comparision between shoujo and the old gothic romances I used to read when I was a teenager. Here's the comparison:

Reading a gothic romance is like attending a party where they're serving hor'dourves of romance, but you'll never get a meal, because by the end of the book the author is pulling a Jane Eyre and the main male lead is going to be brutally mutilated by the end of the story. I know what you're thinking - so why did I read this stuff? Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm from a really small town. There wasn't a lot in the library. It was either this or smut.

Reading shoujo is like sticking out your arm and preparing to get an injection of romance, cause whoever is writing it is dedicated to making the story 100% satisfying.

I want to write like this, but in a lot of ways I have really forgotten what those sweet little early moments of romance were like. I forget how I was feeling for the most part. I guess I remember my heart beating like crazy, but beyond that I don't remember any little details of things that used to make me extremely happy. Shoujo is all about fluff and I don't remember the fluff that was in my life well. If I remember something, it's usually the grand romantic guestures. Well, at least I remember something.

2 Comments:

  • I really like romance. :) that's one of the reason's I like to watch Marmalade Boy... they actually give you romance and give you a happy ending! (I know I've mentioned Marmalade Boy many times before, sorry)

    Did you know that Inuyasha isn't the least finished? I think that even after 167 episodes AND 4 movies they still haven't killed Naraku or collected all the Jewel Shards. That SERIOUSLY sucks...

    I've come to realize something... I really really REALLY suck at writing romance *heart breaks* and I'm such a romance junkie! Oh I'm so sad... maybe if I practise a little bit I'll get better. The worse part is that I SHOULD be amazing at writing romance since I have so many sources of inspiration... my imagination, all the romantic guys I've met, romantic actions I've witnessed... AND the hundreds of Fanfics I've read so far.

    By Blogger algelic, at 12:48 p.m.  

  • Oh algelic, I know exactly how you feel. Lately, I've been sort of checking out what everyone has to say about my fics and it seems that I write great action and crappy romance. I'm so CHEESED! Cause I like romance too!

    It's probably because of my personality. I'm so responsible and hardcore about everything I do (how could I possibly release a chapter a week if I wasn't dead serious about the stuff I do). I am not a fluffy kind of person.

    So, yeah, I write crappy romance. I'll have to work hard and enjoy that I can write action - even though I don't really enjoy reading action. I'll just have to take it as a gift and move with it.

    And yeah - Inuyasha definitely sucks ... a lot.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 1:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home