Wild Moon Swings

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Fansubbers, I Salute You

I have a rant for you regarding professionally translated manga, anime, and video games. I have a bone to pick with them, and I'd like to give a little hiphiphorray for the Fansubbers.

Fansubber (noun): Charming individuals and groups who go through the trouble of translating manga and anime for free distribution in countries without licensing agreements (they'd prolly do video games too if it was possible).

But those freaking companies translate every dang word. They turned Xellos into an 'evil clansmen' instead of leaving him a 'mazoku'! Haven't they ever heard of 'translator's notes'? And how many people don't know that 'Sayonara' means 'good-bye'? It gets pitiful and ridiculous when they try to Americanize something that is obviously not American.

But there is one improvement that has been made to the way manga is printed for distribution in English speaking nations. They've stopped flipping the pages so that you now read the book up and down right to left, instead of what is natural for us horizontal left to right readers. That has been a huge thing - HUGE.

But it's still not quite where it ought to be. I was reading a copy of an issue of Azumanga Daioh, and I saw something that had been in the anime (fansubbed anime), but the way it was translated totally took the fun out of it. I had been in the process of purchasing as many chronological issues as I could get my hands on when suddenly, I put them all back, and realized quite clearly that I didn't want to read them if they were translated that literally, and completely.

I have to stop now, because I'm getting way too angry. The job fansubbers do on their work is as unbelievably awesome as it gets, and to them they get my unwaivering support. And you companies who do this, I'd like to say; thanks for trying to bring this stuff to America. It's not as much about the money as you think. It's about quality, and they do a better job than you.

And just as a final jab - English voice actors SUCK!

1 Comments:

  • I hear you on that bit about the english voice actors and the dubbed translations. It's why I periodically keep trying to teach myself Japanese. Anyway, happy holidays.
    --Shavaineth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home