Wild Moon Swings

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Vampire Kiss

I know it's been awhile and I deserve to be ... oh, I don't know. Can someone else think up a punishment for me, please. So, I haven't been writing in my blogs, and I haven't been writing online, so you probably all thought that I was dead or something suspicious. Well, I'm not dead. I've been trying to write original fiction and it hasn't been going well. It's not that the story isn't going well. It's more that I'm trying to write a 300,000 word novel to market to a publishing company and it's freaking hard because I have no time to think about it. My brain is crammed full of all kinds of serious real-life problems that are consuming my life. So, I'm back to writing on fanfiction.net even though I already decided that I wasn't going to do that. Well, maybe someday I'll have the time to write my big novel and maybe someday I'll be a hugely famous author and you'll all read my books as soon as they're on the shelves and I'll thrill millions with my fantastic stories, but for now, if I don't write something I'll go crazy ... seriously crazy. So, instead I will thrill my hundreds of fans with my new Escaflowne fic - let me tell you about it.

It's called 'Vampire Kiss'.

Someone once told me that you have to select settings you are familiar with - especially when writing contemporary fiction. This is one of the reasons why there are so many high school animes, mangas, and fiction in general - everyone has been to high school. But I didn't want to write another high school fic. Often when I watch high school movies it occurs to me very strongly that the author originally intended for the story to take place on a college or university campus, but the producers would make more money if it took place on a high school campus, so the story is slightly changed and now we're dealing with high school students.

Me? I'm done college and college was a hoot! Whoo! My college was fun anyway and since then I've been employed by a couple different universities. So, I decided that I was ready to write a story that takes place on a university campus. In the story, the university Van, Hitomi and the rest of them attend is the UofA (University of Asteria) - which is hilarious because the last university I worked at was also the UofA (I can sing the school song - really loudly - too. Ah! I have so much school spirit).

The other reason I wanted to start off at a university is because I wanted to shy away from people comparing my story to the 'Twilight' books and anyone who has read my blog in great detail knows what I think of them - PREDICTABLE - which is fine ... for vampire virgins. But, I'm not like that. I've read and watched scads of vamp stuff, so much so that I can guarantee you that what I have in mind for this story is nothing like anything you've read elsewhere. If you think you can guess what is going to happen, I can promise you right now - YOU HAVE NO IDEA. I'm going to blow your minds clean out of the water. And as for my story being compared to 'Twilight' ... BLAH ... it's already happening ... BLAH. But I don't care about any of that. Or at least, I'm going to make myself not care about that. I should just be delighted that people are taking time out of their day to read my story. I'm really excited that I've had so many people return to my stories when I've taken so long getting to them.

So, for the time being - I'm back in the game. Better buckle up cause we're going for a ride.

2 Comments:

  • Yay! I had noticed you had started updating again but was so busy graduating from university and now packing to move cross country I haven't had time to read them. :( Sure you haven't noticed me commenting and stuffs. :P

    All I got to say about the comparison to Twilight: hands down, no comparison. Your story = has character depth and a plot. Twilight? Not so much. :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 p.m.  

  • People should read this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home