Wild Moon Swings

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Not like Lord of the Rings

For Christmas I got a gigantic stack of books. I love books! Hehehehe. So, one of the ones I got was 'Dragon Sword and Wind Child' by Noriko Ogiwara. It's the English translation, but it was lovely. Now, when I read this book, I felt like there was still a lot for me to learn about writing - this is one gorgeous book.

When I was reading the descriptions and synopsis' for this book, I was sorely disappointed. I thought it sounded polly-wolly boring, but I really liked 'Sea of Shadow' which is the first book in the 'Twelve Kingdoms' series, so I thought I'd give it a chance. I mean, if they bothered to draw a cover like that, I ought to give it a chance, right?

I LOVE Japanese fiction! This was so delightful. Do you know why? Because I can never guess what the heck is going to happen until it does. They don't follow common English plot structures, so I'm not expecting anything that happens. It's like; "the bets are off - friggin' anything could happen" the whole time.

I am so glad I bought it. There wasn't a single thing I did not love about this book - it was thrilling and chilling and boiling and utterly fantastic. And I wouldn't have known it was coming out if I didn't have my subscription to 'Shojo Beat'. So, everyone take my advice and go buy this one right away. It'll fit perfectly beside 'Sea of Shadow' in your book case ... even though they are different shapes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home