Wild Moon Swings

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Dark is the Night for All

Even though I enjoyed writing vampire fics when I was 15-16, I never had any hope of publishing any of it because I knew that they weren't very original. I mean, yeah, I like vamps, but hasn't it all already been done before?

I never would have read this book if one of my readers had not written me and told me that my writing was quite a bit like Stephenie Meyer's. It sort of intrigued me because I was like, "You mean there's an actual published author who knows how to write?" I also saw a lovely little article on a Chapters flier saying how her vampire fic was 'the new Harry Potter'. So, I bought a copy to see how sad 'Dragon's Moon' looked in comparison. Yeah, 'Dragon's Moon' is definitely rough around the edges, but I was expecting to read something that really showed me all the ways that I need to improve - something that showed me that I still have a long way to go. Not so. Actually, I cried.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not angry with her. In a way, I'm cheering for her. I wish I knew how to market my story to literary agents - if I did, maybe I would have cleaned up 'Dragon's Moon' and sold it five years ago. Not that I could have had her success - that's impossible for me. And I'm not being pessimistic for all you people who come to my blog and don't comment (hehehe). I'm being realistic. By this point, I know what a pack of hounding maniacs teenage girls are for fluff, kissing scenes and skank. Most of the teenage girls I know who like romance stopped reading teenage fluff ages ago and started reading romances for adults (which also explains the writers on ff.net who claim to be 15 and write the sort of books that usually have a scantily clad couple on the front). Though I don't think Stephenie Meyer degraded herself by the scenes she wrote - I could never have done it. Like I wrote on my Ghost Mist blog - I just can't do that sort of thing. I can't write more than two paragraphs in a row about a couple making out without wanting to DIE. It's not just that it makes me uncomfortable, but also that I've read so many such scenes that I feel like they are such old hat as to be ... boring ... predictable and overly sentimental. However, that's exactly what the teenagers want.

Anyway, yesterday I had a published author look at a chapter of 'Whenever You Want' and she said that I was ready to get something published. And you know what? I think she's right. I wish I had something ready to send right now, but I don't. I need to get to work. Even if my trilogy can't be sent and 'Whenever You Want' probably shouldn't - I can come up with something new - work on it and send it out. I feel like I'm ready.

So - final comments on 'Twilight' - I wish Edward's thoughts hadn't been so predictable, but as I've learned talking to several of my friends who have read it, it's not predictable if you're not familiar with vampire fiction.

I wish she hadn't said 'I'm going to give you the choice I never had' in book three. Okay, that's not exactly what she said, but isn't that the most famous line from 'The Vampire Chronicles' by Anne Rice? Clearly, it can't all be 100% original since they are talking about the same subject, but wouldn't that particular line be taboo? And yet, there it was, all by itself in it's own paragraph and everything. Maybe she hasn't read them ... or heard the delightful way Tom Cruise says it as he stokes Brad Pitt's cheek.

Next - if I were writing it - it would be way more slashy slashy than kissy kissy. By the end of the first book, I totally couldn't understand why Edward hadn't slashed his wrist yet. I was sitting there going, "What are we waiting for?"

I may talk about this more later, but I gotta go. All in all, it was a pretty good book.

4 Comments:

  • I have to agree with you on the whole Twilight series in general about it kind of being full of fluff. My boyfriend was highly amused when, in reading book three, I kept throwing down the book in disgust over how weak the characters had developed. Bella turned into a whiny weakling, Edward a push-over, and Jacob a pushy a-hole that doesn't know how to take no for an answer. Guh.

    As to your trilogy (I would have replied had I not created a whole new account due to the bad memories of my old account from like, 2002), I have in fact read them and thoroughly enjoyed them! So much so I'd stay up late, well to 2 AM, when I had to be up for work at 6 AM. :) You're one of the few authors on ff.NET I actually make a point to read all your works and check for updates. :)

    But yes, THOROUGHLY disappointed in those books. I'm kind of scared for where book 4 will end up going and what Bella will FINALLY decide.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 p.m.  

  • Yeah, I was pretty disgusted that Edward was so forgiving to Bella when she was totally making out with Jacob. I like how Van acts (freaking out when Hitomi even looks at Folken as though she understands him). And yeah, I wasn't too pleased with the way the whole thing went. It became an elaborate love-triangle, which isn't enough for me. I want something with teeth - not tongue.

    By Blogger Stephanie Van Orman, at 10:49 a.m.  

  • Yeah, I was pretty disgusted that Edward was so forgiving to Bella when she was totally making out with Jacob. I like how Van acts (freaking out when Hitomi even looks at Folken as though she understands him). And yeah, I wasn't too pleased with the way the whole thing went. It became an elaborate love-triangle, which isn't enough for me. I want something with teeth - not tongue.

    By Blogger Stephanie Van Orman, at 10:49 a.m.  

  • I have to agree that it should have teeth instead of tongue. I admit, I was a fan of bodice ripper stories since they're such dumb reads (it allows you to not THINK when you're reading which, frankly, it sometimes needed) but I have to agree with you there that Edward's lack of reaction to Bella making out with Jacob was far from realistic and kind of went against Edward's possessive nature. I understand he's trying to be "understanding" or whatever, but I have to agree that the Van-esk reaction seems more real life and actually develops more relationship dynamic then the Jacob x Edward x Bella saga.

    I think it'll be interesting seeing where she goes in book 4 since it kind of seems like none of the characters in the triangle are getting what they want. Bella is just kind of going with the flow (letting Alice plan the wedding, agreeing to get married); Jacob ends up alone (though he's omg, soulmate!!! or whatever); and Edward is just a tool at this point.

    Ugh. Needs good books to read. :P (luckily found your fanfiction which made me not so mad at the writing world in general). ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home