Wild Moon Swings

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Vampire Knight

Yeah, so I was really disappointed with 'Eclipse' by Stephenie Meyer, so I was sitting around trying to think of why, besides all the reasons that I already listed in another post. And once again, it's not because I hated her books or anything - I really liked the first two - but I was trying to figure out why I wasn't fond of the third one. AND I FIGURED IT OUT! One of the most important aspects of the vampire lover is that he be dangerous and once Edward got over his blood lust regarding Bella, he ceased to be appealing. So, to remain appealing his blood lust should have gotten more intense rather than waning.

That's when I started brainstorming stories that have the male vampire in a relationship thirst more for the blood of his female friend than less. The first one that came to mind was 'Vampire Knight', which I didn't think was incredibly intelligent when I first started reading it. I think that was partly due to the fact that I didn't get to read the beginning. I didn't start my subscription to 'Shojo Beat' until it had already started running. I admit that I was only thinking of the story as a take on high school love with vampires, but as I started to think about it more carefully and comparing it 'Eclipse' I got more and more excited by the story.

You see Yuki has been giving her blood to Zero on the side because he's going to go insane for blood lust and she believes that if he has a little on the side, he won't go insane. So, in one chapter, he's been acting up. She takes him aside and gently lifts up her hair to expose her bare throat and says something like, "Do what you have to do." He looks horrified at her offering, but then he slams her against the door and sinks his teeth into her flesh, because he just can't stop himself. Then she whispers, "What does my blood taste like?" Zero pulls away like she's slapped him. He has her blood dripping out of the side of his mouth and he asks, "Why do you want to know?" It was gorgeous!

Not only that, but the love triangle in 'Vampire Knight' is not between two completely different types (who wants a werewolf anyway?), but against a young vampire who's on the verge of losing control and an old vampire who is elegant, beautiful, and calculating. His name is Kurane and he's the pic I've got today.

Maybe it's not so easy to write an appealing vampire story. However, I have some good news. An anime version of 'Vampire Knight' will be airing in Japan this April. The anime might be really good. I'm gonna watch it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home