Wild Moon Swings

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Colour Wheel

Since I've had this blog, I've talked about what certain colours mean to me. I talked about red - the colour that I hate. To me it symbolizes the worst the female sex has to offer. I talked about orange - my colour of confidence. To me orange is the essense of empowerment. Today I thought I'd go over the remaining colours.

Yellow
A long time ago I had a poster of a daisy surrounded by red roses in a vase. The caption reads 'Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful'. I have to point out that the daisy in this picture is absolutely shining and white, but for some reason yellow was the colour that stuck in my mind. The idea of the poster is that a woman's beauty should be unique. It discourages following popular trends in order to be everyone else's idea of beautiful and encourages young girls to find their own styles. But putting the exact intent of the poster aside, I always felt that there was an undertone to it that glamourized lighter beauties. During that time of my life, my best friend was a girl who was clearly a 'sunflower' type. So, whenever I saw the poster, I would have mixed feelings. I would feel the shackles of a consumer driven society fall off me in one case and in another I would feel sorta like I had a wedgie. With strict regard to only the colour wheel - I'm more like the red rose than probably any other flower.

Grey
When I was in my late teens and early adulthood, I used to say that my favourite colour was grey. No one believed me when I told them this. They thought it was just my natural contrariness coming out ... and maybe that's what it was. However, when it comes to style in my home and on my body - my tastes take a strong turn towards colourlessness. But there was one person who believed me. It was my very best friend. She was painting me a little ceramic frog (the kind that holds the scrubbers for your dishes) and she was contemplating what colour she ought to paint it. After some thought, she remembered how I love the absense of colour and painted it a light cream with blue-green spots. This is one of the my most treasured items. Someone who caters to my contrariness is definitely someone who loves me.

White
When I was about 13 I tried to start a club at school where the club members took turns making little trinkets for all the other club members. It was supposed to be a craft club. In order to differentiate between us, each club member had a colour assigned to them and the trinket made for them each month would always be their colour. One would think that a club like this would not be popular, but I had a lot of people sign up when I said that I was starting it. It didn't take long for all the colours to get used up. I think we even resorted to peach and some light and dark colours. In the end, there was no colour for me. I wracked my 13 year-old brain until I finally decided that I would be white. Because I was starting the club than I made the first trinket. I made plastic canvas bookmarks for everyone. I think I made another craft too, like keychains or something like that before I got annoyed that no one else was doing their stuff. The club disbanded because no one did any work, but me. But I'll always be the white one.

Purple
I always think of Indigo and Violet from 'Rainbow Bright'. Those were their names, right? I think purple is an extremely beautiful colour that has the power to be more beautiful than almost any other colour if used appropriately. I always thought that I would have liked to paint my bedroom purple, but when I went into a friend's room who had done it, I stood there and realized that it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted great purple sparklies and different tones of purple and splashes of gold and silver. What I like in purple is elusive. It's a real pity.

I don't think I have any other strong attachments to any other colours, so I'll have to sign off now. I'm a rare bug, aren't I?

3 Comments:

  • Hey sis! I'm back! ^^

    I hate yellow. It's even hard for me to LOOK at that colour. Specially the "canary yellow".

    I love purple. And: black, dark blue, wine red, bege (or cream colour?), and a couple more.

    Actually, lately "wine red" hasn't been one of the colours I like. Maybe I'm getting over it.

    If you see my living room... it has all been decorated by me. All in earth tones. Many tones of brown. I like calm colours... I don't really know how to explain...

    Anyways... it's great to be back! :)

    By Blogger algelic, at 5:17 a.m.  

  • Wow! You should come decorate my living room. I hate home decoration.

    Glad you're back home safe. I always worry about people when they travel.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 4:00 p.m.  

  • Interesting post on colors, hehe. I've also seen that poster, although thankfully, no one has given it to me :P I'm not big on inspirational items.

    Maybe I should start up a random topic blog, too. You always have the most interesting ideas to inspire me :D

    By Blogger jomiel, at 10:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home