Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sitting in the Dark and Eating

There's this one Calvin and Hobbes comic where Calvin says that it's not entertainment if you don't get to sit in the dark and eat. LOL! I love Bill Waterson. So, that's where I got the idea for the title of this blog. I've decided to dedicate this post to ten movies I like. Generally, I have not been liking movies lately, so maybe I might not get to ten, but I'll try. I'm going to write these comments on the assumtion that everyone has seen these movies.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

This is a Jim Carrey film, so you'd think that it would be stupid beyond all reason, but it's not like his other movies. It's serious. After I had been watching for about five minutes all I could think was, "Was Jim Carreye always this good looking?" It was weird. It's also interesting to note that one of the most touching scenes was his idea.

2. Big Fish

Ewan McGregor is a cheeseball. There is no doubt about it. But this movie also has Billy Crudup in it (and I love him). I don't cry in movies often, but I cried at the end of this one. Everyone's experiences lead them to find different things touching. This movie hit me in a spot that I don't really like to talk about in public. I cry like a baby everytime I watch it.

3. Highlander

I love the first Highlander movie. The sword play is crappy beyond all reason, but I still love how angst-ridden Christopher Lambert is. Why is he such a sissy in the other movies?

4. Dune

I love the old Dune from the 80's. It might be the occasional peek at Patrick Stewart, or it might be that I think both of the leading ladies in this film are so beautiful that it's sick. The woman who plays Jessica even looks great with her head and eyebrows shaved. If that's not hot, than I don't know what is.

5. Excalibur

This is a movie that was made in the early 80's. Of course it's the King Arthur story. Actually, I have a lot of issue with the King Arthur story and this is the only film I can tolerate. They cover a lot of plot so there isn't a lot of screwing around. Every line is crutial, because they don't have a lot of time.

6. The Lord of the Rings

This is breathtaking - everyone knows it. I honestly don't care for the whole Frodo plotline. I like the battle scenes. Everyone was always stuffing this story in my face when I was a kid and I hated it, because the only part I could remember from The Return of the King cartoon was the part where he gets his finger bitten off. Now for a sensitive child like me - I was NOT interested. It wasn't until I found out that Aragon was the king that I was remotely interested. Like I said - I like the battle scenes.

7. Shallow Hal

This might not fit in well with the whole scene I've got going on here, but I really like the point of this movie. When I was a teenager, I was a man-magnet and my friends always got neglected compared to me. Well, I was always angry that the guys were such losers that they wouldn't talk to a girl unless she was ... hot and flirtacious. I don't know if I'm actually good looking, but I'm noisy and flirtacious and I get attention, but this was a real problem for me and my friends. I'd go to a dance and I'd get asked to dance for every song while my friends would only get asked once or twice. I can't tell you how many scrapes I got into with my girlfriends because of stuff like this. So, it pisses me off that guys need chicks to be postergirls in order to be good enough for them. Losers! The thing that makes me really angry is that my friends ALWAYS had more to give than me. I'm self centered, pushy, egotistical, noisy, and driven. Whereas my friends (on the whole) were gentle, loving, supportive, sweet and generally just ... precious. That's why I was able to pop a little bit out of my bubble and love them. Yeah, men are morons! Which brings me back to another one of my theories - ALL MEN ARE EVIL. Some of them are just more evil than others.

8. Vertigo

If you haven't seen this film - you must. It's an Alfred Hitchcock film. I love him! I'd like to tell you about it, but that would ruin it, so go see it if you haven't. Basically, all of them are good, so go watch them all.

9. Logan's Run

I love this movie. I went through the trouble to go read the book as well. I have a fun story of when I went to go read the book. I went to the public library and looked it up on one of the computers so that I could find it on the shelf. But there wasn't a reference number for it. Instead, it said 'please see reference desk'. I had never seen a message like that before. I was so curious and I went to the desk. So, I told the lady there what happened, and she looked at me with this strange expression like I had just asked her something totally unheard of. She got up and told me to wait. Then she got up and went behind the desk and opened an elevator door that I didn't even know was there. The book was in storage, but the mysterious way that she went down to the basement was like she was going to the library's bat cave. It was really strange.

Yeah, I couldn't come up with ten. I knew it would be challenging. I watch most movies and I can believe that I'm watching the pathetic tripe. Not to say that I don't like silly stuff, or stuff that's fun. I just get bored with overused themes, popular actors playing themselves instead of a character, the hype surrounding films, the same exact stories being played out, and most of all - the way that I can't get into a story in just two hours. It takes at least four, if not five. So, that's the end of my list. Hope you enjoyed it.

4 Comments:

  • I'd recommend that you read LOTR but I don't think you'll like it very much ; ; It's a slow piece of fiction; very different fron your prose!

    By Blogger jomiel, at 1:01 p.m.  

  • I agree. Actually, I have vowed never to read Lord of the Rings. I made that vow when was about 13 and I have no intention of breaking it. It's not that I won't read something that's long. I've read lots of long books. That's not the problem. The problem is that Lord of the Rings was written by a linguist instead of by an author. The difference is staggering. And it's not that I didn't think he had some good ideas either. It's more that a) that's a lot of time for me to commit - it would have to be fantastic and as I am already familiar with the story. I know that my interest would not last long. And b) the main themes do not especially interest me.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 1:16 p.m.  

  • I finished it in 3 days. It was so exciting~

    As for the linguist thing: his love of language really shows through. It's very awesome to read and feel how he put everything he loved into it.

    Main themes like good vs. evil, love, loyalty, expectations?

    By Blogger jomiel, at 8:05 p.m.  

  • 3 days? Wow ... I have no words. Did you not sleep?

    As for the themes - the good seems empty and the evil seems too clear cut. However, I must say quickly that I really don't deserve to comment on it since I haven't read it.

    However, good for you - reading that in three days. Colour me impressed.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 9:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home