Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A Look, A Glance

Today I thought I'd talk about my stories Dragon's Moon and Mystic Wings. I know I talk about them a lot, but it's what I have on my mind, so if you're reading this then you'll have to suck it up.

You know, I've really enjoyed writing this story. It's been really great for me. I've also been impressed that I've been such a gerk on fanfiction.net and I'm still getting reviews. It's not that I've behaved badly. It's that I'm writing a story that is obviously a Van/Hitomi romance, and Van hasn't been in the story since chapter six. I just released chapter 17. I am totally surprised that everyone who reviews hasn't bugged out because they were too pissed off with how the story was going. I'm amazed they're still hanging around and complimenting me on how the story is turning out. It's just that as I said in a previous post about Mystic Wings, if I was myself a few years ago, I wouldn't have been able to read a story like this. My level of maturity wouldn't have allowed it. I would have gone snakey over the lack of romance. So, I'm really impressed at the maturity of my readers on fanfiction.net.

Mystic Wings, like Dragon's Moon exists to help me learn to write better. Dragon's Moon was to help me improve my editing skills. I really did get quite a bit better at cutting and gluing and patching. It was like writing became an arts and crafts project. It was an extremely unique experience for me. And then Mystic Wings was an attempt at a whole whack load of things. I have always written things that are predominantly romances, and usually from the male perspective. Mystic Wings is a huge break from that, as the core of the plot is mystery instead of romance. I try hard to make it interesting, and since I haven't totally lost my readership, I have to assume that I'm not exactly biting the dust here. And with the new forum feature on fanfiction.net, it's weird but it feels like I'm getting more popular.

I get requests from people sometimes to go check out their writing. This is something that sort of surprises me whenever it happens. And I always remember the person who I went to who I thought was the coolest and she ripped me a new one when she started analyzing my writing. Yeah, that was an interesting experience, but even as it was happening, I knew that this was what I had been waiting for since I started writing. For someone to actually tell me what was wrong with my writing. I still can't touch the story that she betaed, so hard did she rip it to shreds, but it was such a good thing for me that I can't be regretful about that one story. I just can't be. I'd sacrifice 50 stories to get that final good one that I can be proud of for my whole life. I can't help it, that's just how I feel.

And Mystic Wings is wonderful. I'm so proud of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home