Wild Moon Swings

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Puppy Ears, Puppy Eyes

Okay, so I'm an animeniac, and because of this everyone think that I like ALL anime. This is so not true and I'd like to illustrate this problem with a particular anime - Inuyasha.

If you go onto fanfiction.net and into the anime section you will see that for the English language there is probably not any anime more popular for writing fanfics for than Inuyasha. Well, I hadn't seen it. I'm not really interested in anime that doesn't end, so I had been avoiding watching it, but wherever I go once I say that I like anime, everyone says, "Have you seen Inuyasha?" And because I haven't, I feel like I'm not really a true anime guru. So, my cousin kept saying that he was going to bring it for me to see, because I MUST SEE INUYASHA! So, he brought it and I started watching it.

For some reason I always paralelled Inuyasha with Kenshin. Maybe it's because both series' are named for the main male character, maybe because they're both sorta historical fiction with fantasy intertwined, maybe because they're both combat based series', maybe because they seemed equally as popular, maybe because they are both friggin long, maybe because they both were made around the same time in the 90s, or maybe because certain characters from their stories appeared in the name plate bar equally as often on AMV.org. Maybe. But let me tell you I can't put Inuyasha on the same level as Kenshin. Kenshin is like the heavens and Inuyasha is like the dirt. Seriously, I have only watched eight episodes of Inuyasha, and I totally don't even see why he is a character that you'd want to root for. It doesn't have anything to do with him actually being half monster, or something like that - he's just an immature, loudmouth, boring character. I don't get excited at all to see how he's going to react to something. It's boring. And the series seems grotesque, vulgar, and ugly. Inuyasha himself isn't even drawn nicely. I think it's hard not to make anime hair look bad, but I think his does. I'm so confused as to how an anime boy could be so unappealing. How is that even possible? The opening song even manages to suck more than the opening song for Kenshin (which I don't like at all).

So, I have to say that I think the reason why Inuyasha is so popular with the English speakers is not because it's a superior series. I think there are two reasons. No. 1. It's not Dragon Ball Z. It's a little more grown up, so older losers don't feel bad watching it. No. 2. It's accessable. When I wander into Walmart and happen to stroll down their movie aisles, I see that it is the MOST accessible anime probably of all time. I don't have a Sailor Moon thing myself, but I have been looking to purchase some and Inuyasha is always there instead (as well as in HMV, Music World, Zellers, and anywhere else I happen to wander). I think it's popularity is solely based on availability, cause I think it's absolute CRAP. Once something else gets a little more light in the sunshine, everyone is going to wake up and start watching real anime. Personally, I'm hoping Full Metal Alchemist kicks Inuyasha's little red butt smack of the shelves.

And there's no picture, because I'm not soiling my hard drive with a picture of that loser.

2 Comments:

  • I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for you. I think you had the misfortune of wandering into Inuyasha thinking it would be anything other than an utterly goofy series. It's very much along the lines of Ranma 1/2 (also by the same creator). Admittedly it does start out very slowly and Inuyasha is a rude, obnoxious little twit, but he does start to make progress. The series gets more interesting once background information and the love triangle between Kikyo, Inuyahsa, and Kagome gets going. Plus take another look at Sesshoumaru... he's a right bastard the first time you meet him, but his Japanese voice actor is worth listening to and he becomes a far more interesting character the more often he turns up. I think once you start to get him figured out you'll at least like that character. I can garuntee you'll hate Miroku though when you get introduced to him... womanizer that he is. Anyway, I'll be interested to hear if you change your mind about the series later.

    Shavaineth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:11 p.m.  

  • I'll see what I can do.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 6:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home