Wild Moon Swings

Saturday, April 08, 2006

My Lot in Life

Today I'm going talk about the thing that I do most often in life to aid society. It might not seem like such a big deal, especially when you consider that I'm the sort of radical broad that really likes to do things to really change society. But this is the thing that I catch myself doing ALL THE TIME, and I like to think that it really makes a difference.

When I was a teenager, I had a job working for the local public library. Despite my intense literary feelings, I was not hired to stock shelves or anything near that fun. Instead I was hired to vacuum and dust the entire building once a week for $10 an hour. This might seem like the lamest job in imagination, but as I described somewhere, I lived in a small town -- an extremely small town. I was lucky to get a job at all. So, anyway, after I had been working there for a couple years, the girl who cleaned the bathrooms while I dusted and vacuumed, graduated from high school and a new girl got hired. She was one of the librarian's daughters and she didn't like cleaning the bathrooms one bit. So, she convinced her mom that I should be the one to clean the bathrooms instead of her. Was I pissed off by this new arrangement? Not as much as you'd think. We cleaned after hours, so I didn't have to haul my CD player around with me so much. I could just leave it by the bathrooms while I worked (just as an aside, there is something so wonderful and unnaturally distuptive about pumping the library with Econoline Crush at top volumnes - the whole atmosphere of the place changes and it's like the place becomes a living building instead of a dusty dustbin for molding paper - but city libraries don't maintain the same quiet aura as small town libraries. It's really not the same experience at all).

Okay, so how did I learn to aid society? I learned to change the papertowel machines and fix them. Now, wherever I go, I find broken papertowel dispensers all over the place in public washrooms, and I always take the time to fix them. It might not seem like much, but I like to think that I make a difference to whoever comes in to wash their hands next. Plus, I don't believe in touching doors to public bathrooms - EW! So, I always take an extra little bit of towel with me to touch the door knob with. I'm sure I prevent all kinds of illness by fixing these machines, because people are washing their hands, and hopefully not touching things whether they are sick or healthy. Sometimes, I also fix toilet paper dispensers too when I notice that they're not working. It's a small thing I do, but I really end up doing this A LOT.

I'm not looking for a medal, or for any kind of recognition - smirk. I just felt like talking about something stupid that always gives me a little bit of happiness. I know ... I'm just admited supreme loserhood.

2 Comments:

  • lol that's «sweet»!
    The only kind of thing I've done to help others has been spending 4 hours a day every summer since I was 12. I mean... I get paid 1€ an hour, which in total is only enough to pay for the bus pass.
    I'd spend my time with the elders at the homes (do you call them nursing homes? where they get abandoned by their families and live there and are taken care of?). I'd listen to them, help feed them, take them for a walk in the garden, etc. Every summer I'd go to a different nursing home.

    I'm pathetic! But well... I just pity them soooo much! This is all I can do to make them feel a little better.

    Be good! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 a.m.  

  • You're a better woman than me! Keep up the good work!

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 12:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home