Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Sick Girls Talk about Movies

Today I thought I'd talk about Studio Ghibli. Whenever I see a Ghibli film, I always feel like I've seen it before ... a really long time ago when I was a small child. I've forgotten the details of the story, but there's a feel to the film that awakens a part of my memory that is extremely old. There's a few that it wasn't true of, but I feel this way about most of them. We'll see what I can write about each film.

Howl's Moving Castle
I remember one of my friends trying to get me to read this book when I was in seventh grade, but I turned her down because I thought the premise sounded ... unromantic. I mean, Sophie is an old woman for a serious portion of the story and I thought that wouldn't be any fun. Cheers to the immature mind. So, I had nothing more to do with the story until the film came out. It was great! I'm always thinking about what kinds of movies I want my children to grow up with and this movie describes the essence of what I want them to absorb. Just as another thought - I love watching this movie with girls who haven't seen it before. It's hilarious to watch them perk up when Howl shows up and puts his arm around Sophie. They thought they were going to be bored - U-huh.

Spirited Away
Very often, when I happen to have conversations with non-animeniacs about anime - this is the only film they've seen. Consequently, they think anime is cooked. I can't deny that this film is a little out there, but in essence it's sort of like 'Alice in Wonderland' and thus I believe that it's not too difficult to identify with. This is more of a tween thing than a children's movie as I think No Face would scare little ones, but I still enjoy it hugely. I love it when they get guys who know what they're doing to do the voices and the guy who does Haku rocks my word.

Laputa: The Castle in the Sky
This has got to be my least favourite Ghibli film. Seriously, I couldn't get into it at all. The only thing I remember is being interesting was Muska's voice. I was sitting there cracking my brain open trying to figure out who could be doing it and doing such a fantastic job at it too. It turned out to be Mark Hamill. I was so pleased at his performance that I wanted to write him fanmail. He was awesome!

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
I like this film a great deal. It doesn't move very fast and it's a little more mature, but I enjoy the pace of it a great deal and cry my eyes out at the end. I really love this film.

Whisper of the Heart
I ended up reading a massive article in 'Anime Insider Magazine' that listed all the reasons why you should buy 'Whisper of the Heart' when it came on sale and I ended up biting - which is unlike me. I don't buy movies I haven't seen before. This one was based on a piece of shoujo cannon and it was pretty cute, but it's not got a super fast pace either. Actually, I'm the only person I know who's been able to sit through it. Kids could watch it, but they probably wouldn't want to.

Princess Mononoke
I have BIG theories about this movie. I don't think that anyone I know who has seen it has understood it - even a little bit. I went and saw it in theaters four times in two weeks and didn't understand it at all. It wasn't until I started studying Japanese history that I got a theory as to what it's really about. I'll have to write an entire post on it, but I'm a little afraid to do so just in case I'm WAY off base. It's just a little frustrating when I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of before I post here. Most people I know watch it and are like, "Why do they keep calling her San when the movie is called Princess Mononoke?" Then my eyebrow twitches and I answer calmly (since I was in the same boat as them the first couple times I watched it) that mononoke means vengeful spirit in Japanese. Some day I'll step out on a limb and post my theories - they're BIG.

Okay - I think that's it Kittens. Next time I'll write some more.

6 Comments:

  • Oh please please please please post your theories about Princess Monoke!!!

    I've watched all the movies you talked about in your post... and my favourites are Howl's, Spirited Away and Princess Monoke.

    And you know what? From those 3, the one I found confusing was Spirited Away... not Princess Monoke. I mean, Spirited Away wasn't exactly confusing, but so original that my narrow-minded brain had difficulty adjusting to it. And yes... the guy who did Haku was soooooo good! :D can you fall in love with a voice? I did!

    I first watched Princess Monoke on TV, loved it (even cried when I watched it) and I really didn't know what it was called (since they did a BAD translation of the title... into something like: "Fight of the Forest" or some crappy title like that). One day, I was talking to a friend about anime, and he said: "I think you'd like Princess Monoke. It's a good film" and I was like: "What is it about?". Then he told me and I said: "I've seen that! So it's called Princess Monoke?"

    Of course, later I searched in the Internet information about the movie. That's also how I learned the meaning of the title. So cool! ^^

    So pleeeeeease talk about your theories! :)

    By Blogger algelic, at 2:53 a.m.  

  • I'v only seen 4 animes ever. Escaflowne ( movie and sries), spirited away, card captor sakura ( long time ago) and princess mononoke...

    I really thing you should do your post on princess mononoke...i never really thought that deep into it

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:47 p.m.  

  • I posted a bunch of pics on my page, come check'em out, not just the english blog, but the spanish one as well.
    Same goes to you Algelic

    By Blogger Borrego, at 1:12 p.m.  

  • Hey!! I sat through 'Whisper of the Heart' and I really liked it. It's true that it moves at a slow pace though. I need to give that back to you btw...Both my kids LOVE 'Spirited Away'. I thought they'd be scared of no face too, but then my kids are weird and we've exposed them to alot of weird stuff..so....

    Loved 'Howl's Moving Castle'.

    Good post! I'm very interested to see what your theories are about Princess Monoke as well...

    Fourlittlepeas

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 a.m.  

  • Have you went back to read "Howl's Moving Castle" after you watched the anime? It has a very different feel. The anime definitely made it into a product of Studio Ghibi (but both has merit).

    I loved Nausicaa so much that I bought the manga...in Japanese. That was such a mistake, haha, since it takes me like 5 minutes to understand each page with conversations, even with all my Chinese.

    Have you watched "Kiki's Delivery Service" and the other films aimed at younger audiences?

    By Blogger jomiel, at 2:46 a.m.  

  • We soon believe what we desire.
    [url=http://moncler-jackets-cheap.blogspot.com/]moncler jackets outlet[/url] moncler-jackets-cheap.blogspot.com
    [url=http://burberry-outlet-discount.blogspot.com/]burberry outlet[/url] burberry-outlet-discount.blogspot.com
    [url=http://louisvuitton-bags-sale.blogspot.com/]louis vuitton bags[/url] louisvuitton-bags-sale.blogspot.com
    Knowledge, in truth, is the great sun in the firmament.Life and power are scattered with all its beams.
    ugg boots sale www.ugg-bootssale.info
    burberry outlet burberry-outlet-discount.blogspot.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:29 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home