Wild Moon Swings

Monday, January 22, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I never make New Year's resolutions. In January when I listen to the radio I hear all kinds of ads about how various companies are trying to help you keep your New Year's resolutions. Some of them talk about redesigning your home, some about your goals to lose weight, or to get fit. I think a few of these ads even encourage people to go back to school to study something ... As for myself, I already understand that I'm not going to do any of these things. I never make New Year's resolutions. If I were going to make one, I would say that I would redesign my webpage, but I know that I'm not going to do that, even though I've already selected the theme I want to go with (please see today's graphic). I know a really good website for free webgraphics. It's too bad that I'm so weak-willed. I guess I would also make a promise to finish 'Ghost Mist', but again - I'm so sick that it's sort of a miracle that I can find the energy to post in here.

All I wanna do is read romance novels and I HAVEN'T GOT ANY! I saw some old ones for sale at the Salvation Army a few weeks ago and I thought about buying them, but I knew they'd rot my brain, so I didn't buy any. Last time I was seriously ill, I read 'Emma' by Jane Austen, and 'Silas Marner' by George Elliot. Now, I just end up sitting around watching Strong Bad emails on my lappy wondering why I didn't buy those flipping romance novels. At least they'd keep my brain moving and distract me from the horror ... or discomfort of my illness. Blah ... I need to let myself digress a little. At least until I'm better.

5 Comments:

  • New Year resolutions are such an embodiment of our general weak will, anyway, so don't feel bad you didn't make any--because at least you won't break any promises, hah!

    I reread Memoirs of a Geisha recently and the Chairman reminded me so much of Emma's Mr. Knightley. There's just so much of this "I'll wait for you until you grow up" thing that borders on romance into a little creepy. But I guess it's explained into romantic dedication, or something like that.

    My favorite Austen character, though, is Henry Tilney, from Northanger Abbey.

    By Blogger jomiel, at 3:00 a.m.  

  • I also never make New Years resolutions. And I can't bear to turn on the radio on the holiday season... since the people won't shut up about it.

    Right now I'm in bed with the flu. I've always been a very healthy person, but this Winter has been hell for my immunitary system.
    And I don't have any books to read! *sniff*

    As always, I asked my family to get me books as Christmas presents. Only ONE member of the family did it. And when I was happily tearing the wrapping paper... I noticed she had bought the wrong book. Crap. And she didn't even buy a BEARABLE book. Now I have nothing to read.

    I've posted on my blog asking for suggestions of books and such. I don't really know what to buy.

    By Blogger algelic, at 2:06 p.m.  

  • Hey Jomiel,

    My mom had me watch a BBC version of 'Northanger Abbey' the other day. I had never read the book or had any idea what it was about. Naturally, there was blood (my latest weakness) and so I felt sick the whole time and threw up afterwards, but Henry Tilney was AWESOME. I can't read it for the time being - blood - but it looked like something worth exploring.

    Hey algelic,

    Sorry, I don't think I can give you any suggestions for good books. Most of the anime I suggested, you didn't really like. I don't want to send you down a bad alley. And I've already done so many posts about the books I like.

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 12:36 p.m.  

  • I don't remember there being much blood in the book, but it's being a while since I read it.

    I also read The Mysteries of Udolpho this year--the one mentioned in Northanger Abbey. That one was much darker and romantic, although I sort of share the sentiment of Ann Radcliffe's critics: "why doesn't she shut up with the scenery already?!"

    By Blogger jomiel, at 5:33 p.m.  

  • The version I saw showed the imagination of the herione (can't remember her name) and so it showed hands dripping in blood and stuff like that. Normally I'd laugh, I'm just not myself.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 10:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home