Wild Moon Swings

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Mononoke Hime

Wow! I didn't realize that anyone would be interested in hearing my theories on Princess Mononoke, but since you seem to be, then I don't have a problem relating them. I just have to point out before I start that I am the only person I know who thinks this - I don't even know anyone who knows enough about this subject to talk about it to in order to get a little perspective. So this is just my brain and my brain isn't necessarily always on the right course.

I believe that this film is about the transition between feudal Japan and modern Japan. In feudal Japan there were four classes: nobility, samuria, peasants, and merchants. I believe nobility is represented by the boars, the samuria are represented by the wolves, the peasants are represented by the people who live in Iron Town and the merchants are represented in part by the monk Jiko Bou. The Great Forest Spirit represents the Emperor. The main character Ashitaka is not an important character involved in the changing world, but instead a third party observer and in many ways so is San.

So, to start the story we have Lady Eboshi who has built Iron Town and is mining the land for iron. I think she represents the press for change and in Japan the biggest press for change was when foreign powers arrived. Japan had its borders closed to foreigners for hundreds of years. The biggest thing that foreigners had that Japan didn't was technology and I think that is marked out by the fact that Lady Eboshi's men have guns and the power to fight the boars on the mountain when normally they'd be slaughtered if it was hand to hand combat. So, the boars lose and become spiteful - transforming into demons filled with hate. That's when he stampedes into Ashitaka's villiage and Asitaka is drawn into the fight, but not before his villiage elders talk about how their way of life is disappearing.

So, Ashitaka goes to Iron Town and learns about the situation there. The rest of the story describes the different problems of the differents races/classes and then the disintegration thereof. The story strives hard not to take sides, but in the end it goes with the force for change and the wolves and the boars are destroyed by the guns of the villiagers.

In Japan it is practically tradition that the Emperor has no real political power. He's the son of heaven and it would dirty his hands to deal with common problems - hence why the Bakufu ruled out of Edo while the Emperor lived in Kyoto. So, I think he's well represented by The Great Forest Spirit. His presence can only bless and improve the lives of the people. By the end of the film, the goal of Lady Eboshi has changed her objective to retrieving the head of The Great Forest Spirit. I think this represents the will of other countries to rule Japan, but in the end - Japan was not ruled or colonized by other nations and instead ruled itself. Even though Japan eventually lost their emperor, they did not lose the power to rule themselves.

Ashitaka and San represent ordinary people (although they have different views) they
love each other and work hard for a common goal. And by the end of the film - all classes have been removed and there is only one class left - the working class.

I went and looked up studio Ghibli's comments on this story and they have it taking place during the Muromachi Era (1392-1573), and I was placing it to describe more around the 1800's, so I don't think I'm entirely right. I need to study more, but I think a lot of what I said still applies even though it's flawed.

5 Comments:

  • Hey. Sorry I'm only commenting now.

    Your theory is very interesting. I'd never thought of it that way, but I can certantly see how you developed that opinion. Unfortunately, I can't give a very interesting or informed comment on your theory or the movie itself, since the last time I watchedit was a couple ofyears ago. But I'll try to find a chance and watch it and then I'll be able to discuss this better.

    And I'm impressed with your knowledge of Feudal Japan. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 a.m.  

  • Actually, according to what I read on Studio Ghibli's webpage, my theories aren't all wrong. What they had in mind is just a lot less specific than what I had in mind.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 8:39 a.m.  

  • I didn't say your theories were wrong. I thought they were interesting. But I can't really say if I agree of disagree with them since I remember very little from the movie.

    PS: I'd like it if you'd comment on my latest post. Please express your opinion. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:27 a.m.  

  • I had thought of the film more as the illustration of impact we all make on each other as we live our lives. If we persist in our own ways without regard for greater good and deeper purpose, then we would become like the two warring factions, either steeped in stubborn tradition or else pushing out advances at large costs.

    Did the emperor not have political power before the establishment of Meiji era, when the Satsuma-Choshu alliance challenged the Tokugawa Bakufu's reign of the samurai ruling class? I thought he did, but then it's been a while since my Japanese history class.

    By Blogger jomiel, at 2:54 a.m.  

  • Well, before the establishment of the Meiji Era I believe his opinion had a little sway and the samurai wanted to side with him when he disagreed with the Bakufu about foreign policy, but he didn't sit and make laws or negotate with foreign powers. I think he was powerless in many ways. It depends on your idea of what political power is.

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 11:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home