Wild Moon Swings

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Connor vs. Kenshin

Okay, so first thing. Lately, I've totally caught myself on a Kenshin kick. I sometimes get this way about Highlander, and it's interesting that I'm noticing that I'm feeling the same way about Kenshin (he's the pic I've brought in, especially for today). So, I've decided to do a quick comparision of them. So today, Connor MacLoud vs. Himera Kenshin. Let's ride.

Connor became a swordsman because he was stabbed on the battlefield and he was supposed to die, but he didn't (cause he's an immortal). So, he was run out of his villiage and basically left alone, until he finds a woman he loves and basically just hangs out until his future teacher comes to find him to teach him the ways of the sword. Kenshin became a swordsman because as a child he was a slave and as they were travelling, everyone in his party was killed except him and he was about to be slain as well, when his future sensei chanced upon him and killed every last man to protect Kenshin. It wasn't that he particularly liked Kenshin, he just looked real cool in the moonlight and then left Kenshin where he found him planning to do nothing besides protect a child who couldn't be guilty of anything. Then later he went back to bury the dead bodies of the people he'd killed to find that Kenshin had buried ALL of them - all the slaves and all the bandits. The teacher was impressed and he took him as his pupil. I think it's obvious who wins that round. DING!

Kenshin - 1, Connor - 0

They both have alias'. In Highlander One (I'm not counting any of the other films or shows because they SUCKED) Connor is going by the name Russell Nash, when we find him. We learn that the name Russell Nash is the name of a child who died immediately after birth and he's assumed the identity. Himera Kenshin is not Kenshin's real name. His real name is Shinta, and he probably never had a last name because his class was too low. His sensei names him Kenshin because he says that's the name of a samurai, unlike Shinta, which sounds childish. I'd say it's close. 55/45.

Kenshin - 1, Connor - 1

Swords! It's all about the swords. Kenshin's carries a reverse-blade sword, designed so that it cannot kill anyone (because he's taken a vow against killing because he was the master assassin for Choshu during the war and killed ... countless people). It is only truly dangerous if he flips it, and uses the sharp edge. Connor weilds a legendary Japanese sword as well (sorry I'm a little funny about whether or not to use the Japanese words for things or the English equivilant - please forgive me). It was made thousands of years before the Japanese started making swords like that. Apparently, the blade was bent two hundred times in the temporing process - cool eh?

Kenshin - 1, Connor - 2

When it comes to swordsmanship. I'm afraid it's hardly worth a comparison. Granted in Kenshin, they do flashing light a lot to indicate that the swords met during combat, but if you have seen Highlander One lately, you'd know that whatever Kenshin has going on for him is about two thousand times better than Connor. The swordplay in Highlander is so bad it's difficult to watch. Plus, in Kenshin they talk about the swordsmanship like it's a craft. They just sort of bat steel against steel in Highlander, but give them a break - it was what like 1985. BAD!

Kenshin - 2, Connor - 2.

No one ever says the words - "Don't lose your head" to Kenshin. Such a bad pun on the Highlander premise, so bad ... so bad ...

Kenshin - 3, Connor - 2

Kay, now we're gonna talk about angst/attitude. Kenshin is not angst ridden. He doesn't run around with a scowl on his face, because he has a sort of inner tranquility regardless of the fact that he's always getting chased by crazy samurai who want to prove their manhood by beating the battosai (spelling anyone?) in a fight. Yet, he gets serious when he needs to - thus enhancing his appeal. Connor, on the other hand, is tortured and adds a whole new demention to the term 'angst ridden'. It's extremely cool, until he gets all weepy. Why, why, and why does he get weepy? He's had like 300 years to perfect his act. Like WTH?

Kenshin - 4, Connor - 2

Now we're going to go over the romantic appeal. So, I didn't want to think about the other Highlander movies, but I sorta couldn't help it if I was going to be a good judge of their love lives. Connor has a different chick in every movie, and in some instances, more than one chick in each movie. Kenshin only has two women. That's it. That's a point for Kenshin, but I'm going to go a little further. Connor simply seems more of the redblooded type than Kenshin. Kenshin just doesn't seem like he thinks that any woman could be interested in him. He seems to think he has nothing to offer - plus he's a wanderer. So, both guys know that they can't stay with whatever chick they happen to meet. Connor because he's going to outlive them, and Kenshin because he's probably going to die soon or wander away. Kenshin doesn't let himself become involved and Connor does. Still, they both have thier appeal. In Connor's defence though, he lets the woman have a say in the matter, but in Kenshin's, he doesn't. Ding! No points awarded.

Kenshin - 4, Connor - 2

Yeah, I could probably go on, but I don't think Connor could catch up. So, I'm calling this boxing match off before Kenshin does something he might regret.

And the winner is KENSHIN!

Besides, it's an obvious win for the cute anime boy. I'm writing this after all, and like the non-anime boy had a chance to begin with if I'm the author, even though I tried to be fair. Too bad!

3 Comments:

  • Yay! I like Kenshin sooo much! I thought he was so cute when I saw the anime! I saw the Kenshin anime about 6 years ago... it played on TV but I don't remember how many episodes they showed (in portuguese television they tend to FORGET showing the ending -_- ).

    It's funny... I hadn't heard anything about this anime for these 6 years (or more, I don't really have a notion of time lol) but in the last month I've heard so much about it. I've been really trying to get updated on anime lately (even though I have little free time) and I've been trying to remember the titles of the anime that I've seen on TV all my life (atention: TV! Internet is another deal... lol but on TV I haven't seen that many) but it's hard because they usually dub it and the names get translated BADLY.
    For example: they dubbed Sailormoon with these really annoying voices and they translated the names COMPLETELY different! Now I'm all confused when and I can't really read any SM fanfiction cause I don't know which character they're talking about. -_-

    I've seen the Highlander movie about 3 or 4 times (they repeat it A LOT in this country... no originality whatsoever). I thought it was really sweet, and then I looked it up on the internet and I saw that there was another (or two?) sequel. I haven't seen them... but I'm sure they suck cause I thought the story was all finished in the first movie.

    Wow and I was trying to make my comment brief... Oh no! It's your fault for bringing up these interesting subjects! lol!
    By the way... what's the name of the Kenshin anime? They thanslated it into something like "Samurai X" here. I really don't trust them for translating. lol

    Be good! :) Oh and your 12th chappie for Mystic Wings was really cool (although no Van :P ). I'm spending the next two weeks in Easter Vacation, so more time for me to despair for new chapters from you! LOL update soon! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 p.m.  

  • Samurai X is another title for Kenshin, so you're not that far off. Yeah, I love Kenshin too.

    Oh, and hey, if you read Mystic Wings - PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW. I'll let you in on a little secret. I've written like four chapters ahead, and if I get 20 reviews (that are obviously not b.s.) for a single chapter I update instantly. But people go read all the time and they don't comment - SO frustrating. So, please review if you read. Thanks!

    And I like hearing all about this stuff from your point of view. It makes it way more interesting. I'm really glad you come. Cheers!

    By Blogger Sapphirefly, at 3:24 p.m.  

  • I have to say I knew who the winner was going to turn out to be, but I also feel disapointed because I knew you were biased even though you were trying not to be! It would've been cool if you'd pulled a mind switch and surprised everyone with a completely different outcome than what was expected. Although I have never read/watched SamuraiX or whatever it's called, I guess I'm biased in a way too. I'm SCOTTISH!!! LOL Anyway, I'm just messin with you! But the show sounds good, I might just have to check it out!

    Fourlittlepeas

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home