Wild Moon Swings

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Dragon's Moon

I thought I'd record a little of the history behind my most popular story to date on fanfiction.net. I started writing this story the spring after I turned 17, so quite awhile ago. Back then it was called "The Darkened Wave". Not the best title, and I had been scrambling to come up with a better title for it, and I hadn't been able to come up with one. "Dragon's Moon" is an excellent title, and far more appropiate than anything I'd been able to come up with beforehand. Anyway, it started out as original fiction, with the main characters named Trina and Brock (Brock being a famous name that I use to name at least one character in every original story I write . . . what can I say? It's my favourite name for a guy). I tried to release it on Fictionpress.com, but I only have one review submitted for the first two chapters, so I stopped uploading because I was just too depressed about it. Finally, I got the idea to revamp the idea and post it as an Escaflowne AU (alternate universe) fanfic and turn Trina into Hitomi and Brock into Van (Van's shown in the pic I've posted).

When I started working on the adaptation, I thought it was going to be really hard to make the changeover, but it turned out to be dispicably easy. I was really disgusted with myself for not being more original, because everything fell into place for the crossover. Also, I have to point out that I did have to make some changes to Brock/Van's character for it, but all the changes just improved things and made them way better. I like this story way better as Escaflowne fanfic than in it's original state. It just keeps getting better as I work on it.

I'm also a little paranoid that one of my relatives will read it and not realize that I've turned it into fanfic. Without knowing that, my naming a character 'Van' sounds extraordinarily conceited. Ah well, my relatives don't usually read my work, so I suppose I should be comfortable.

I woudl also like to point out that I don't think that this story is one of my best (could anything really compare to 'Shadow Magic: Pictures of You'? I think not), but it was the last full length novel I wrote to completion though, and it took me over a year to write. It seemed a huge shame to leave it on my hard-drive and not have anyone ever read it ever. Plus, I really wanted some feedback for it. However, if I released it as a 17 year-old without my current brain - it would really suck. When I go through my old stacks regarding it, often I'm like WTH? What the heck was wrong with me? It's a much more powerful story now, and we're only a little past the half way point on ff.net. I'm gonna blow my readers' minds apart. Just wait and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home